Supertweeters

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
The supertweeters are essentially almost the same price as my speakers- so is it a worthy investment- or would a new set of speakers be a better upgrade?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
It's on the Russ Andrews website- just type in supertweeters on the search space. It is essentially for your speakers but because vinyl is able to reach frequencies higher than that of cd's (if I am correct in saying that...correct me if I am wrong, the supertweeters pick up where your own tweeter rolls off allowing for amazing higher frequency clarity and detail- apparently it improves the bass by quite a big margin too.

A

Anonymous

gbhsi1 in all seriousness get your hearing tested first

if you cant hear the higher or lower frequencies theres not much point

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
The Townshend Audio MAXIMUM Ribbon Super Tweeter is designed to extend the response of conventional Hi-Fi loudspeakers to 100kHz. Adding the Super Tweeter to your audio system allows you to experience the advantage of the extended frequency response delivered by the new digital audio formats (DVD-A, DVD-V containing 96/24 stereo PCM audio, and SACD) and to fully utilize the 30kHz plus frequency response previously only available from high-quality vinyl repro-duction. Another bonus is that CD and Nicam stereo, together with Dolby Digital and DTS compressed digital audio formats, are also greatly enhanced. Just as the subwoofer fills in the bottom end, the Maximum Super Tweeter fills in the top end. It makes the music much more real! All Instruments - even double basses - take on an extra clarity that is neither bright nor brash. In fact the sound is both clearer and smoother. The really surprising thing is that when the tweeters are played alone, one can barely, if at all, hear a thing. Remarkably, however, all listeners - even, those having no sine wave sensitivity above 10kHz - experience the same enhancement when the Super Tweeters are engaged, describing the sound of their hi-fi systems as 'more natural' and comfortable to listen to.

I rest my case...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi1:

I rest my case...

If it was your case, which it isn't, you still couldn't rest it, none of that would stand up as evidence, it's unproven supposition. And the other guy isn't being rude about your hearing, once you get to about 20 you start losing the ability to hear the upper frequencies, so a tweeter that goes up to 100KHz (which no recording system gets anywhere near anyway) would appear to offer very little to the listener that at best might be able to hear about 20KHz.

Supporters say the benefit comes about by the replacement of the higher harmonics that would be present in a "live" situation but again if the recording doesn't reach the frequencies of those harmonics how is any speaker supposed to replace them?

Also, and no offence but I'd seriously question whether you do have an "open mind" on this subject, you already seem to have convinced yourself that this is a great product before you've even seen it, never mind heard it, you're taking the RA spiel at face value, which isn't exactly the of impassive approach you need to bring to auditioning hi-fi. I'd very much suggest that you're going to "hear" the "benefit" of these speakers regardless of whether they actually work or not.

Having said all that you are the only person who can judge whether it works for you, so if you can get some on a trial basis from RA then give it a go and see what you think, never mind what anyone else says.

A

Anonymous

gbhsi1:My hearing is fine thank you. I have an open mind unlike some people....theres no need to be so rude thank you

i was merely pointing out that youll be unlikely to be able to hear the higher frequencies owing to some technical drawbacks within the design of the human ear top frequency is 20000 hz for people with exceptional hearing around roughly the age of 8 after which that figure drops more normally its 15000 hz

bottom end is about 12hz but we can feel lower frequencies between 4 and 16 hz

so go ahead buy your super tweeter its not the mind that needs to be open but the ears
emotion-1.gif

edit thanks the_lhc written before i saw your post

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
All valid points. I never said that this would happen if I bought it- hence the reason why I asked the question in the first place so I could have opinions from other hi-fi folk. And the tweeters are actually from townsend audio, so the comment above is not from Russ Andrews in the first place. Hi-fi critics (I agree that it is there own opinion but an expert opinion at that) have also reviewed the tweeters and agree that they do make a difference....so would they be lying?

A trial of the tweeters is obviously the best way forward but I do not agree that my hearing needs testing as one off said as that is not an answer to my question but more like a fob off.

A

Anonymous

gbhsi1:All valid points. I never said that this would happen if I bought it- hence the reason why I asked the question in the first place so I could have opinions from other hi-fi folk. And the tweeters are actually from townsend audio, so the comment above is not from Russ Andrews in the first place. Hi-fi critics (I agree that it is there own opinion but an expert opinion at that) have also reviewed the tweeters and agree that they do make a difference....so would they be lying? A trial of the tweeters is obviously the best way forward but I do not agree that my hearing needs testing as one off said as that is not an answer to my question but more like a fob off.it wasnt intended as a fob off at all more a general caveat about the limitations of hearing and certainly not making any comment about yours specifically

personally knowing the limitations of my own hearing which is marginally better than normal for my age i wouldnt bother myself because i wouldnt hear anything so no benefit for me

but id be interested to read your comments nonetheless i take it its the usual 2 month trial or your money back thing

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi1:And the tweeters are actually from townsend audio, so the comment above is not from Russ Andrews in the first place.

Doesn't actually make any difference does it, it's still marketing guff, regardless of where it's coming from.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I apologise that I took it personally and when I do eventually try it a home on a trial basis- I will post it :) I guess when I finally reach an old age it wont matter indeed (not saying that you are old of course)

A

Anonymous

gbhsi1:I apologise that I took it personally and when I do eventually try it a home on a trial basis- I will post it :) I guess when I finally reach an old age it wont matter indeed (not saying that you are old of course)no problems sometimes i dont express myself that well

look forward to the report

A

Anonymous

£782 for a pair of supertweeters? ... get an old pair of B&W DM2a speakers off ebay for less than £150 ... (paid £50 for mine) ...

has the same tweeters and supertweeters as the spendor BC1's ... and is a transmission speaker, so bass is excellent ...

A

Anonymous

Supertweeters certainly sound like an interesting product to try and I'd jump at the opportunity. I think if I had that sort of money to improve my system I'd go for something a little more basic like my amp. Having said that, in may ways it's not a lot different to debating whether to buy standmounts with sub versus floorstanders. Different benefits and overall outcomes. Theye'd have to work incredibly well for me to benefit though as I've utterly destroyed the top part of my hearing and enjoy tinnitus as top end!

manicm

Well my family's first seperates Technics system was primarily around the turntable - and the speakers had two tweeters - one of them a so-called 'supertweeter'. Forgetting the hype, semantics and technicalities - it did make for a superbly transparent yet sweet sound.

I can vividly remember my old Moody Blues LP on it - their Long Distance Voyager album - and how Patrick Moraz's superb keyboards and effects on the 1st track - The Voice - panned from left to right on with breathtaking clarity and emotion.

Even if you hate the band, just to give your turntable system a good test run - hunt down a vinyl copy of this album - the whole album is beautifully recorded.

A

Anonymous

manicm:

Well my family's first seperates Technics system was primarily around the turntable - and the speakers had two tweeters - one of them a so-called 'supertweeter'. Forgetting the hype, semantics and technicalities - it did make for a superbly transparent yet sweet sound.

I can vividly remember my old Moody Blues LP on it - their Long Distance Voyager album - and how Patrick Moraz's superb keyboards and effects on the 1st track - The Voice - panned from left to right on with breathtaking clarity and emotion.

Even if you hate the band, just to give your turntable system a good test run - hunt down a vinyl copy of this album - the whole album is beautifully recorded.

Moody Blues are one of my fav bands ... have a few cd's of theirs ... also like Styx (not many people listen to them)

manicm

dim_span:manicm:

Moody Blues are one of my fav bands ... have a few cd's of theirs ... also like Styx (not many people listen to them)

Yeah, some of their early stuff has been positively re-appraised over the past few years - funny how some critics' minds work eh?

A

Anonymous

i took a then girlfriend at her insistence to one of the moody blues reunion gigs

we split up at the interval by mutual consent

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
for the price of those supertweeters you could look at changing to a caspian amp, might be a much bigger improvement for the money. the L.lll is good, i had one, but you might be suprised by the next level up. just a thought. would like to hear your views though if you do give the supertweets a go. looking at it logically they seem like a huge waste of money for something only a bat could hear, but hifi isn't always logical.....
emotion-1.gif

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
thanks Manicm Im going to hunt this one down and one for you which is well known is Willie Nelsons Stardust...classic. I listen to slayer all day long but this ol country one hits it right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts