Super High Material CDs

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Yes, apparently the material used for the lacquer has been developed from lcd display technology, allowing the laser to read the disc more easily, with fewer errors. Something akin to 24k gold discs I would presume.

Although it does seem odd that as cd is gradually becoming less popular, some may say obsolete, that anybody would be interested in "improving" the format now. Also many Japanese masterings tend to be awful, so any perceived improvement would be negligible, I would think.

I was thinking of buying the Nick Drake Fruit Tree box set a while ago, I may still do yet. Apparently some of the mini-LP packaging is very nice.

But personally, if folks are after re-issues of old music for instance, I would look at older Mobile Fidelity, Steve Hoffman mastered DCC's or even in some cases, older un-remastered issues that can sound fantastic.

T

the record spot

Or almost anything mastered by Nimbus, or DADC....(see the inner clear plastic ring of a CD). Doesn't apply always, but generally, I find Nimbus, DADC, or non-remastered discs which originate in Germany, or Austria can sound superb. Elton John's Goodbye YEllow Brick Road, the fatbox 2CD set) is excellent for example and likewise the Mobile Fidelity CD of the same. Both purchased for £6.99 each in Edinburgh, so it's worth shopping round the used shops.

(I know, I know, I always bang on about buying used, but I do occasionally buy new stuff....!!!)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I only have one MFSL Gold CD (Roy Orbison's "The all-time Greatest Hits") bought recently. It sounds great overall except for the bass is a little 'pumped'. If I ever find a mint copy of the original 1972 Monument records vinyl then the MFSL will go on e-buy. (Yes, MFSL are releasing it on 180gm Vinyl soon but the original first LP release should sound as good and will probably be cheaper.)

I don't have any other 'special' CDs or LPs and I bought the Orbison as an experiment on the strength of reviews. Despite it's quality, it isn't THAT much better to justify about £25

A

Anonymous

Pink Floyd's DSOTM Gold MFSL went for £27 today on eBay - wish I'd bid in retrospect.

I have Rush Permanent Waves MFSL and it sounds great.

A

Anonymous

I still don't understand for the life of me why the music industry didn't jump on SACD. Regardless of any detail benefits or anything... not a single mainstream SACD writer exists on this planet so there would be no copying, no piracy because they only thing that could read it would be your player. The only way to copy it would be to intercept a DSD signal out of your dig out and recode it!! that needs custom in-garage designed hardware

A

Anonymous

Mr_Poletski:not a single mainstream SACD writer exists on this planet so there would be no copying, no piracy

Had SACD been used for the mainstream do you not think SACD writers would have appeared? Anyway everything was running pretty well with the CD, it has only been since file sharing and computer audio appeared that the music industry went into disarray.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts