super audio cd

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio never real took off in a major way, but both systems have their merits. SACD found favour in the classical music world, so if you enjoy listening to classical it's well worth considering, as there's a decent selection of recordings available on the format. The sound quality is certainly superior to CD, and many recordings are available in multichannel surround sound, if that appeals.

T

the record spot

You can pick up a handful of reasonably priced players - I landed a Samsung DVD950H a year or so back for the Genesis 1976-1982 boxset purely for SACD purposes. If you want to try out a low cost option, try the Oppo 980 player which has SACD, DVD-A and HDCD compatibility. This is extremely rare in a £150 player and you need to go up to around £800 to get all three formats on the one unit.

If you just want SACD, Pioneer, Marantz and Cambridge Audio - to name but three - all offer SACD compatibility. The Cambridge is a DVD player (the DVD-89 I think). All three range from around £200 - £350.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I`ve got the Pioneer which retails for £350 and I have to say have been very pleased with it. Like The Record Spot I bought the Genesis 1976-82 box set and was keen to hear how good they sound on a SACD player. Suffice to say I have bought another ten or so SACD`s so far and I`m hoping to add to this collection soon. There does still seem to be new SACD titles released from time to time, it`s as if the format is just about hanging on in there. Wether it will still be around in the future I wouldn`t like to say. I hope so. As yet I don`t have a 5.1 sound system but when I eventually do get one it will be interesting to see just how good titles such as `The War Of The Worlds` and Pink Floyds `Dark Side Of The Moon` sound on it as both of these are in my SACD collection. Sorry if I haven`t been much help but as I have a player I just thought I`d let you know of my experience with the format so far. All the best.

A

Anonymous

Is it possible to get a DVD recorder that plays SACD or DVD Audio?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I have a denon 1920 and SACD sounds terrific through my Onkyo 875/Monitor Audio RS 6 etc multi channel setup, although there is a shortage of non classical material. Dark Side of the Moon sounds great but the Brothers in Arms SACD is the best recording I have ever heard in any format.

To continue the theme, I am really looking forward to the Genesis 70-75 box set. The reason I bought an SACD compatible player ion the first place was the much anticipated multi channel of the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

BTW I am interested in a blu-ray player but none of these seem to have SACD support. Anybody know why?

A

Anonymous

The Pioneer I have cost £140 and plays all DVD formats. I really like the sound of SACD on both classical and rock (Dark Side of the Moon is extraordinary!).
But as Andy said, both DVD-A and SACD are pretty much dead formats (like HD-DVD!!!!), but that does mean that there are bargains to be had.
What's interesting is the potential for Blu-Ray to enter into this market with fully uncompressed multi-channel music. But if it's going to work, then the Industry has to get behind it, not just leave it like they did SACD/DVD-A.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Casca:
What's interesting is the potential for Blu-Ray to enter into this market with fully uncompressed multi-channel music. But if it's going to work, then the Industry has to get behind it, not just leave it like they did SACD/DVD-A.

Since when did the mainstream music industry give a monkey's about sound quality?

A

Anonymous

Casca

How do you have your DV600 connected to your Amp?

I also have the DV600 and have it connected to my Onkyo 875 via HDMI. When I playSACD's it only outputs 2 channel (I have the audio output selected as Auto (DSD)). Do I need to connect the Analog outputs to the amp to access the surround mixes from SACD's or should the setting be LPCM 5.1? DVD-Audio's (& Video's) output surround sound audio with no problem.

Thanks

Mark

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Mark Ellis:

Casca

How do you have your DV600 connected to your Amp?

I also have the DV600 and have it connected to my Onkyo 875 via HDMI. When I playSACD's it only outputs 2 channel (I have the audio output selected as Auto (DSD)). Do I need to connect the Analog outputs to the amp to access the surround mixes from SACD's or should the setting be LPCM 5.1? DVD-Audio's (& Video's) output surround sound audio with no problem.

Thanks

Mark

Mark, yes you will need to use the analogue outputs. SACD (apart from some high range Denon SACD players that use a proprietary link to Denon amps I think) is decoded in the player. You will need to assign an input selector on the 875. See page 32 of the 875 manual.

A

Anonymous

Thanks - had a feeling that might be the case. The Pioneer manual is not particularly clear on this point. It says that SACD 5.1 is not output via digital connections and so a separate analog connection is also required but the table for HDMI connections suggests that 5.1 is carried for SACD's...

More cables...
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Interesting - I have it from Denon support that the DVD 1940 outputs DVD-Audio via the HDMI output, but not SACD - for this you do need the 5.1 analog outputs. This is certainly going to influence my choice of new AV amp.

A

Anonymous

I used to connect the Pioneer through the 5.1, although it's a bit of a pain at the minute because the BD player's going through that input. When I get the new amp (phew......) that'll be fine and dandy.
Here's a question. The guy in the store tells me that some SACD players can output through HDMI. Is that true?

T

the record spot

Simonrob:Is it possible to get a DVD recorder that plays SACD or DVD Audio?

Not at present; that truly would be an all-in-one machine. I had hopes the Sony 870 (can't recall the letters in the model number) which retailed around the £400 mark would have compatibility, but alas not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts