Suitable Component to complement ATC SCM 19s

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought a pair of mint, ex-dem ATC SCM 19s. I am now looking for an appropriate amplifier. I am considering the Cyrus 8vs2 but am unsure as to whether this may be underpowered for it. I have booked to test my speakers with some Cyrus equipment (basically I can test the whole range) for a week from now, but I want to go in armed with knowledge. Would the 8vs2 be underpowered for the task? How would a Bryston 3B-ST with BP 0.5 sound? (I know someone selling one second-hand really cheap) What other alternatives can you suggest? How about a Cyrus 8vs2 bi-amped with a 6 Power or something? My budget is relatively tight. I don't want to spend more than 1000 pounds if I can but will stretch to absolutely no more than 1500 pounds. I still have to factor in a DAC and/or CD player as well for a total budget of about 3,500 pounds (I spent about 1350 pounds on the speakers).

Thank you.

A

Anonymous

Not to bump this but...please do not diregard this post due to my menial post count (as I have seen and read about happening to other threads). Thank you.

A

Anonymous

Also, what might be suitable stands for the speakers. Partington Dreadnought Broadside or Ultima?

A

Anonymous

I know this is going to annoy some people, but I'm going to bump this because I am getting closer to my demo date and would really appreciate some advice. Thank you.

A

Anonymous

Beta4Me:I know this is going to annoy some people, but I'm going to bump this because I am getting closer to my demo date and would really appreciate some advice. Thank you.

Sorry. PLEASE can someone help me..!
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

I don't know these speakers personally, but a quick look at the ATC website( http://www.atc.gb.net/scm19.htm) reveals the following:

Recommended Power Amplifier :

50 to 300 Watts

This puts the Cyrus at the bottom end of the range, but doesn't indicate necessarily it will be found wanting with the speakers. Maybe it would be worth contacting ATC directly and seeing what they say.

Sorry I can't help more.

A

Anonymous

OK, thanks. I might ask ATC. Also do you, or anyone, have any suggestions of amplifier that would match the style and features of the speakers, e.g. their transparent nature.

A

Anonymous

I've decided to wait on the amplification as I've fallen in love with the Cyrus Pre vs2/Mono Xs setup, but I can't afford it. So, let's just say, I'm saving up. I'm now just going to go ahead and buy the equipment rack, speaker stands, cabling, power conditioning, etc. and maybe a DAC (CA DACMagic or Cyrus DAC X--very difference prices, I know). Then I'll use my old Sansui amp I've got lying around, it doesn't great but it does sound alright with the SCM19s. I'll then save up for the Cyrus Pre/Power combo and maybe/probably get it in say 6 months time. So I need help, please, with working out what speaker stands & speaker cabling to buy. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I have the same speakers connected onto the end of a Cyrus XT SE , DAX XP, 2 X Powers and find that there is more than enough power to drive them loud and to appreciate the dynamic scale in my 4mt by 4mt room. At the time of having a demo I had them connected to 250watt Meridian Amp, which in my opinion was sonically inferior to the Cyrus set up

MaxLegroom

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I got a brand new paid of SCM19's for £1279 two weeks ago and I@ve heard that ATC are putting up prices across the board such that a brand new pair might set you back £1534 not at a dealer.
I'm using a superb AVI S21 M1 Lab Series Integrated to power my SCM19's - even with a 'amp friendly' flat response and load presented to amp's, the SCM19's are current hungry at peaks and so make sure you've plenty of grunt in your 'amp with refinement' choice.
I wouldn't change my system now for ages ! Stick the SCM19's on at least Partington Heavii's too !
Good luck and happy listening.

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
I think this would be a good solution for you bearing in mind that you have a computer as a source....

Musical Fidelity A1008

It's got a full range of inputs including USB and has plenty of power.

I heard it before going for my Bel Cantos and to be honest the decision to exclude the musical fidelity was made by my wife on aesthetic grounds. I thought it was a superb solution.

If Cyrus is your thing, you could also consider Bel Canto. It's similar in characteristics (beyond the obvious half-width box similarity) but in my opinion is a lot more pleasing overall than similar Cyrus solutions. The DAC 3 in particular is a cracker.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
We've been driving our SCM11's with a Naim 122x/150x with excellent results. Thos that want high SPL's might want to think of a NAP200x rather than a 150x, but for most average lsitening levels, they soudn pretty damn good with the 122x/150x.

I'm hoping to get to hear ATC's own integrated ampolifer in comparison to the likes of the Naim SuperNait sometime soon..... :)

A

Anonymous

I have much to think about but also much time (a couple of months). Until then I'll keep saving, researching and (if I can find the time) auditioning
emotion-2.gif
Also would the Partington Ultima's be good stands as opposed to the Heavi's?

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
The AVI Lab Series integrated or even better the Pre and V2 Power are both bargains second hand that would go superbly with the ATC's.The Primare i30 Integrated is another worth auditioning,plenty of ex-dem ones around.I am sure you will have fun trying them all out!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts