Suitable 2.1 sound for TV

MyWhatHiFi

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi

This I feel is coming up more and more (with what I read) and typical that I found I am in the situation! I own a PS3, have been studying all the forums and have found them extremely useful. Being fairly technically minded I feel I'm pretty confident with my next TV purchase based on space, reviews and size. I appreciate a Ps3 is not high end in terms of AV - but with what I am trying to do its a good media hub for me. As you can imagine with the new TV BluRay is covered with a PS3 (for now) but its the sound I find a lack of solution. The TVs I have in mind have weady sound, not even a Sub connection from them to up the bass.

Due to my room size I feel a 2 speaker and sub to be my ideal. To be honest, event a 2 speaker and sub that can maybe play from an ipod - but it needs to run from the TV for the movie side of me.

So, I've looked at Kef, Lars & Ivan and Bose. I even took a close look at Teac with their iPod TX system but I am not sure that has the right conection for tv/ps3 - nor the clout.

Also, should I look at connectiong direct to the Ps3 the sound? Or is it best going direct from the TV?

Hope anyone can give me some feedback if they have any ideas....

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Have you considered the Onkyo HTX-22HD system?

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4162

A friend of mine just got it for use with his PS3 and it's great. Has the option of being upgraded to 5.1 at a later date if you so wish.

It has 2 HDMI inputs, which could be used very nicely with your PS3. HDMI into the Onkyo, then HDMI from Onkyo to TV, and you can get HD sound decoded by your PS3. Also has optical/RCA inputs so you can run your TV through it also.

Currently £200 on Superfi which is a great price, my friend got his from Richer Sounds who price matched Superfi.

MyWhatHiFi

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Hey professorhat.

Fair comment and I have looked at sound bars, and they may fit the layout of my room. 5.1 is a no go, the shape and layout of the room just dont warrant it. Its just one flat bare wall that is actually crying to have a tv hung on it! seating dead opposite, but behind the seating has not positioning for speakers etc. This is why I figured getting some style package or something that gives the TV/movie a better experince.

ideally thought of maybe pushing about £200 - maybe £250. I've pretty maxed out on the TV budget.

With the Onkyo - will that have sound through standard TV viewing?

Thanks for your thoughts both of you. its the final peice to my TV set up this one!

A

Anonymous

There is a thread about a 2.1 system in the HiFi section of this forum:

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If movies are the main thing, the Onkyo looks pretty good on paper, though I'd recommend a listen before purchase just to make sure. You will be able to plug the TV as well as the PS3 directly into this.
If music is more important, I would look at getting a Hi-Fi system (as per Eddie's comments). With the correct setup, you could also plug both the PS3 and TV directly into it. With a Hi-Fi setup and the correct speakers, you might be able just to go for a stereo setup rather than 2.1, but it depends on your exact needs really. I doubt the Onkyo is going to be the last word for music (though I'm happy to be proved wrong by anyone in the know!), so I wouldn't recommend it if musical performance is going to be important.

A

Anonymous

There is a big move away from 5.1 to 2.1 because it does sound better, is easier to set up and is less intrusive.

The PS3 is the perfect centre to a home media and hi fi system and with a good DAC will sound just as good as the most expensive CD players. But they can't stream Movies that might have accidently found their way onto the HD of your PC or play Blueray.

Best of Luck

Ashley

MyWhatHiFi

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
@ProfessorHat.

Valid suggestions thanks. I'll take a looka t the hifi thread. You are right as initially I looked at hifi set up, as this covers easy access with an ipod. The room is I have said is pretty small so maybe a good hifi with good speakers will be ok? I was worried that a sub maybe overkill, I think I may have got caught up in the 'boom' factor of movies - and I wont be running it exactly loud.

So I am clear - your suggestion of a DAC - never used/seen one so what are the basics?

Seeing as I am looking at small set up, maybe I can continue with either the PicoForte (Kef) or even a decent Denon system to give the sound a needed uplift?

Again, thanks for your time.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
A DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter - the PS3 has one built in but you can buy external ones which will give better performance for music sources (such as using the PS3 as a CD player). As Ashley says, you'll have issues with any movies you do watch when using with an external DAC so may have to unplug it for them. Also, I don't think you're going to improve much on the one built into the PS3 without spending most of your budget on one so I would leave it.
I'll be honest, when it comes to HiFi, there a lot of people more qualified than me to answer these sort of questions!

A

Anonymous

That response from the manufacturer is certainly modest considering that they mentioned that they make a 2.1 system with a DAC on another thread!

TRENDING THREADS