Suggestions on which Amp and Speakers to buy for £1150

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to replace a Sony DAV550 surround sound system with new HD capable system.

I have a PS3 for Blue ray and DVD, Sky HD and a Pana 42PZ85 tv to date.

My room is approx 2.8m wide (plus alcoves on one wall) by 3.8m long. The screen is sat at one end of the 3.8m length, the settee at the other end against the wall (well patio doors(with blackouts)).

Ignoring supply issues should I opt for one of the current Yamaha / Denon / Sony offerings that fit into my budget or wait for the 2009 versions? and whish speakers will be the best fit given the room size and budget.

My thoughts were the yamaha 863 amp and mission m cube speakers which creative audio are offering for £1150 with a cabling pack thrown in.

However the Sony STR-DH800 is available on preorder from play @ £279, would this and say the KEF 2005.3 be a better buy, although I would need to buy cables for the speakers (missions come with them?).

I am open to suggestion over other systems, these are just a few initial thoughts. I had discounted an Onkyo as I have read bad reports with regard PS3 compatability.

Finally, on cables, will there be a huge difference between say the mission std cables or an alternative from chord/carnival?

Cheers

Matt.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Mutterz:
I am looking to replace a Sony DAV550 surround sound system with new HD capable system.

I have a PS3 for Blue ray and DVD, Sky HD and a Pana 42PZ85 tv to date.

My room is approx 2.8m wide (plus alcoves on one wall) by 3.8m long. The screen is sat at one end of the 3.8m length, the settee at the other end against the wall (well patio doors(with blackouts)).

Ignoring supply issues should I opt for one of the current Yamaha / Denon / Sony offerings that fit into my budget or wait for the 2009 versions? and whish speakers will be the best fit given the room size and budget.

My thoughts were the yamaha 863 amp and mission m cube speakers which creative audio are offering for £1150 with a cabling pack thrown in.

However the Sony STR-DH800 is available on preorder from play @ £279, would this and say the KEF 2005.3 be a better buy, although I would need to buy cables for the speakers (missions come with them?).

I am open to suggestion over other systems, these are just a few initial thoughts. I had discounted an Onkyo as I have read bad reports with regard PS3 compatability.

Finally, on cables, will there be a huge difference between say the mission std cables or an alternative from chord/carnival?

Cheers

Matt.

You won't touch these speakers for the price - the sub alone is £750 normally.

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?rlog=rss&item=5c034a116954d85aad0a4e48ed5a7713

£795 leaves you £355 for receiver and cables. However, if you added another £50 to your budget, you could get the Sony STRDA2400es and some QED micro speaker cable and you would have an amazing system.

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-STRDA2400-BLK

A

Anonymous

That certainly isn't something I had considered.

How would the Monitor's compare to the KEF's? I notice these get a 4* and the KEF's a 5* but these where £1325 at the time of review so I am guessing there should be no comparison, the monitor being better.

Could I put the centre speaker above the TV? I don't have room underneath as I have omnimount MW8 shelving directly below the TV with enough room for the SKY box (I was going to have to put the centre speaker on the sky box ..... or mod the MW8 to be bolted in place)

Also would these come with wall brackets as standard? I notice the monitor site suggests they should have wall stands but no mention of any specific wall mounts.

I would just be concerned over the size as I can't find detail of the speaker sizes (that I can understand)

Cheers

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Mutterz:
That certainly isn't something I had considered.

How would the Monitor's compare to the KEF's? I notice these get a 4* and the KEF's a 5* but these where £1325 at the time of review so I am guessing there should be no comparison, the monitor being better.

Could I put the centre speaker above the TV? I don't have room underneath as I have omnimount MW8 shelving directly below the TV with enough room for the SKY box (I was going to have to put the centre speaker on the sky box ..... or mod the MW8 to be bolted in place)

Also would these come with wall brackets as standard? I notice the monitor site suggests they should have wall stands but no mention of any specific wall mounts.

I would just be concerned over the size as I can't find detail of the speaker sizes (that I can understand)

Cheers

They would be a big step up from the Kefs. The RSW12 subwoofer which comes with that package is also part of the RS6AV package (that is a £2k plus system). It's a brilliant subwoofer that has won lots of awards and costs £750 on it's own. The package at £795 is a steal and I would grab it quickly! I have the R90 speakers as my rears - they are great looking and nice and small. The speakers do come with their own wall brackets and are easy to mount. You would have no issue with the centre speaker above the tv. The dimensions for the sats are 190 x 120 x 140 mm and they weigh just 2kg each. The centre speaker is 610 x 120 x 105 mm and weighs a little over 4kg.

By the way, the original review in the mag gave this set up 5 stars and it only lost a star when all the new packages came along - around the £1200 mark. However at £795....

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
You could go withÿwww.hifix.co.uk/sku.lasso?item=96ab6f29644c72f747b8b65f90bf1bdc3825881326b2aec7 and

www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?item=6ececbab546657651528fd05f6e80b70 get the chord cables would be awesome.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
lets try that again first one should be

www.hifix.co.uk/sku.lasso?item=96ab6f29644c72f747b8b65f90bf1bdc7f362144ec9eeae1

A

Anonymous

I have managed to buy a Yamamha 863 amp but then couldn't afford the R90 speakers so have settled for the monitor audio vector 5.1.

I will be picking them up on Friday so if everyone can stay in over the bank holiday weekend i case I need advice it would be appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS