Suggestions for upgrading my Marantz/Kef system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone please advise? I have a Marantz CD6000OSE CDplayer, Marantz PM6010OSE Integrated Amp & Kef Q80 floorstanders (has anyone heard of these?).

I don't think I am getting as much clarity as I should be when I play orchestral pieces. The combination seems to handle heavy rock much better, provided the volume is reasonably high, but not the subtle tones of say, the woodwind in an orchestal setting.

Can anyone offer suggestions for improving on what I have got?

Thanks
emotion-1.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
What other music do you listen to?

What speaker cable and interconnects do you use?

What do you think your budget would be withr egards to upgrades?

IMO a change in speakers may be 1st point of call; maybe aiming for some decent standmount speakers with good, solid stands and a cable change as well.

Speaker choice would be the Dali Lektor 2's IMO; very good with Marantz gear

John Duncan

Hm, not sure. Dan's direction seems good, though I have no idea how good the Q80s were - the CD and amp were pretty good.

You should definitely listen to some Musical Fidelity gear though - say a s/h X-Ray v3 and X-80 or X-150, which can be had for great prices now. What with MF's owner being a concert clarinetist (and including his CD in every box), I guess he thinks they sound good with the wind section.....
emotion-2.gif

Not knowing your budget, it's a toughie. Likewise, I haven't heard the Kef's so can't give qualified advice. There are some great bargains to be had at the moment on amps and CD players (that's the good news) - if you like the Marantz presentation I would look at (JD's favourite) 7001 amp.

Another route would be to search out Arcam DIVA which can be bought at bargain prices, like the A90 or A80. Like MF they give a controlled sound which maybe (he says wincing) better suited to the Kef's.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick response. I listen to a very wide range of music - with the possible exception of punk - so I guess an all-round system would be a good bet.

I'm not sure what interconnects I have, but they were sold as mid-range at Richer Sounds. The speaker cable was agian, about middle price. I was beginning to wonder whether the speakers were not able to handle the broad rangeof sounds I listen to.

As far as budget is concerned, I would probably want to replace a single item at a time, rather than go all out for a new system, so I suppose up to £500 would be a good starting point.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With your budget I'd be aiming for the above TBH.

New speakers; preferably the Dali Lektor 2's; new speaker stands (either the Soundstyle Z2's or the Atacama Nexus 5/6i's - both mass loaded with atabites if possible); new interconnect (Cord Crimson, Atlas Equator or the Van Den Hul 'The Wave' would be well worth looking at) and new speaker cable (either Chord Carnival Silverscreen, Chord Rumor or QED XTube)

All the above is IMO and through experience of demo'ing the same or similar. I must stress that you need to demo and demo as much as possible.

Find a dealer that has some speakers in that you'd like to demo and see if you can either take in your amp and CDP; use what they have thats similar or get a home demo :)

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for your replies.

Thanks to d_a_n1979 for the extra advice. I'll do just that and try yo find a dealer with the Dali Lektor 2's close by.

Kind regards. Les G
emotion-2.gif

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
http://whathifi.com/News/SPECIAL-OFFER-Discounts-on-Dali-speakers-from-Exceptional-AV/

There's a deal on with the Lektor 2's at the moment...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts