Suggestions for upgrading Arcam Alpha 7r - Vintage or modern?

YairIL

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I'm considering to upgrade my integrated amp - Arcam Alpha 7r.
Currently it's connected to Celestion DL8 Speakers, Rega Planar 3 and Pro-Ject Tube Box s2 phono preamp.

I'm being uncertain either to upgrade to Vintage integrated amp (such as Sansui or Marantz), or to upgrade to more modern around last twenty years of more powerful British integrated amp.

I do like the details in sound I have in my Arcam.
Sometimes it feels like it lack some power to get more exciting sound in low frequencies.

I guess i'd like to have a bit more power and maybe bit more warmer sound, overall get some more excitement.
My focus is on VINYL music.

Any suggestions from your experience would be great.
Cheers

HIFI.png

As stated above I would not go for vintage unless you know exactly what you are getting and are sure it has been recently serviced. Nothing lasts forever and it can mean expensive repairs.
Buy new or nearly new and get something like the Leema or decent Rotel would be my suggestion.

Reactions: YairIL

matthewpianist

Don't ignore recent and current Arcam amplifiers. They still have the same outstanding midrange performance, but with more detail and life than older models. They still aren't party animals thought, so if you really want more pace you probably should look somewhere else.

Leema amps are definitely worth a look. I'd also suggest looking at the current Rega Brio or the previous and extremely similar Brio-R. These are fantastic amps, and great value for money. I think a Rega would give you everything you are looking for.

Reactions: YairIL

YairIL

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
Don't ignore recent and current Arcam amplifiers. They still have the same outstanding midrange performance, but with more detail and life than older models. They still aren't party animals thought, so if you really want more pace you probably should look somewhere else.

Leema amps are definitely worth a look. I'd also suggest looking at the current Rega Brio or the previous and extremely similar Brio-R. These are fantastic amps, and great value for money. I think a Rega would give you everything you are looking for.

Thanks, I've found a post on marketplace with a good price on ARCAM FMJ A19 (50 Watts, 2013).
Would you consider it as an worthy upgrade to my Arcam Alpha 7r? (40 Watts, 1998).

matthewpianist

Thanks, I've found a post on marketplace with a good price on ARCAM FMJ A19 (50 Watts, 2013).
Would you consider it as an worthy upgrade to my Arcam Alpha 7r? (40 Watts, 1998).

I had an A19 and liked it very much. Not the grippiest amplifier around but lovely tonal qualities and shedloads of detail.

I am considering a SA10 for my own system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears
I didn’t mention Arcam, even though I have one. It was budget range new, but the phono stage was a bit poor. Lots of background noise and hiss, maybe mine is just an unlucky one. . Whereas that leema has a great phono stage for the money.

YairIL

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
I didn’t mention Arcam, even though I have one. It was budget range new, but the phono stage was a bit poor. Lots of background noise and hiss, maybe mine is just an unlucky one. . Whereas that leema has a great phono stage for the money.

Hi, The Leema sounds very interesting, haven't seen one before..
I'll try to find out about it with local stereo dealer.
Thanks

Currently it's connected to Celestion DL8 Speakers, Rega Planar 3 and Pro-Ject Tube Box s2 phono preamp.

I'm being uncertain either to upgrade to Vintage integrated amp (such as Sansui or Marantz), or to upgrade to more modern around last twenty years of more powerful British integrated amp.

Sometimes it feels like it lack some power to get more exciting sound in low frequencies.

I guess i'd like to have a bit more power and maybe bit more warmer sound, overall get some more excitement.

Cheers

View attachment 4481
A Leema Pulse used on eBay for around £400 is what I’d recommend. It has a great phono stage in there. A great little amp for the money.
(COUGH COUGH!)

Reactions: bigfish786
View attachment 4481
[/QUOTE]

Cheers

View attachment 4481
Firstly, the notion of a vintage amp is very tempting. It has all the right baggage of nostalgia, those care-free days of hearing your first bundles. There are other words such as pit, money and potential. The truth is unless they have loved and repaired by authorized dealers, you could be looking at something that'll only last a few months.

If they have been well maintained they usually sell for silly money. Is it a worthwhile gamble? In my opinion, no.

I've owned Arcam Alpha 7R since the late 90s, and it's still in the attic. Was a very good budget amp in its day. I changed it in mid 2000s by the A65 Plus: more open and airy than the 7R, and still one of my favourite budget amps. The only snag, like 7R it only has 40 watts per channel. Arcam A85 will solve that problem.

Regards the MK1 Leema Pulse, they usually sell on auction sites between £400-600. If you can pick up a good one for no more than £500, half the price of a 40-year old Sansui, it's legalized theft. Owned mine for 13 years and I'll keep it until it drops.

Think that covers most areas in question...

Pulpdiction

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

Cheers

View attachment 4481

Like that unit you have the kit on, where is that from, looking for something similar, although this is probably not for sale any more....

Firstly, the notion of a vintage amp is very tempting. It has all the right baggage of nostalgia, those care-free days of hearing your first bundles. There are other words such as pit, money and potential. The truth is unless they have loved and repaired by authorized dealers, you could be looking at something that'll only last a few months.

If they have been well maintained they usually sell for silly money. Is it a worthwhile gamble? In my opinion, no.

I've owned Arcam Alpha 7R since the late 90s, and it's still in the attic. Was a very good budget amp in its day. I changed it in mid 2000s by the A65 Plus: more open and airy than the 7R, and still one of my favourite budget amps. The only snag, like 7R it only has 40 watts per channel. Arcam A85 will solve that problem.

Regards the MK1 Leema Pulse, they usually sell on auction sites between £400-600. If you can pick up a good one for no more than £500, half the price of a 40-year old Sansui, it's legalized theft. Owned mine for 13 years and I'll keep it until it drops.

That's the main reason I no longer have any vintage gear in operation -- it's all slung up in the attic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts