suggestions for upgrading arcam alpha 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
johnnyboy1950 said:
Sorry about double post mess up think I've got it sorted now.

How about this as a different aproach? A Marantz PM6005. I have a NAD DAC 1 for streaming PC files and spotify. This has a coax digital output . Also I could sell my Arcam alpha 7 CDP for more funds. Instead I could use my DVD Player {Sony DVP NS76P} which has an optical Digital output so I could feed both into the PM6005. The Sony sounds not quite as good as the Arcam with analogue phonos as inputs but using the Marantz DAC I could maybe close the gap? Also is the Marantz DAC better then the NAD DAC 1. I could choose either. If people dont recommend the use of the Marantz DAC then I could go for the PM5005.

There again the Yamaha is still lurking in the corner looking tempting!

That's an option, although my choice, if not Arcam, is Creek. The now defunct Evo2 was a superb piece of kit -- Arcam with attitude. However, they are quite rare on auction sites but have seen them sell recently for about £300.

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Gonna pick up a PM6005 this Sat from Sevenoaks, invite a couple of mates round and do some serious listening with DAC playing the DVD player and the NAD DAC1. Even the store reckons its maybe only a sideways step. We'll see.

johnnyboy1950 said:
Gonna pick up a PM6005 this Sat from Sevenoaks, invite a couple of mates round and do some serious listening with DAC playing the DVD player and the NAD DAC1. Even the store reckons its maybe only a sideways step. We'll see.

Nice one. Have fun. Try and keep an open mind. The Marantz should be better, but it's whether you like the presentation or not.

Good luck, PP.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts