suggestions for upgrading arcam alpha 7

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I have been upgrading my budget system. I now have a NAD DAC 1 streaming flac and 320 mp3 files from PC to the Arcam. New speakers are Monitor Audio BX2's with a BK Gemini Sub and QED interconects. My budget is £200 for a second hand amp as I don't think £200 will get me a better new amp than the Alpha 7. Can I do better than the Alpha 7 for £200 secondhand? I would like a more modern facia with led inputs etc as the Alpha is quite difficult to see what you are doing.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
johnnyboy1950 said:
I have been upgrading my budget system. I now have a NAD DAC 1 streaming flac and 320 mp3 files from PC to the Arcam. New speakers are Monitor Audio BX2's with a BK Gemini Sub and QED interconects. My budget is £200 for a second hand amp as I don't think £200 will get me a better new amp than the Alpha 7. Can I do better than the Alpha 7 for £200 secondhand? I would like a more modern facia with led inputs etc as the Alpha is quite difficult to see what you are doing.

Well I think you can get an Alpha 9 for around £150 but not much newer than the 7. Im sure others will be alone to suggest brands like Creek but I dont know much about those. The Arcam A18 was being sold off for about £300 when the A19 came out so that maybe looking out for.

tazzo

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Cambridge Audio 550A amplifier, £200 + £20 P&P from Ebay

Yamaha A-S500 - Manufacturer refurbished, also in your budget

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-AS500-Integrated-Amplifier-A-S500-Black-/141338974192pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item20e87597f0

Plus many more on eBay, you just got to look.

The above do not have LED inputs, is it really that important? Could prevent you from getting a good amp for the money.

johnnyboy1950 said:

I had the Alpha 7R, and had many years of enjoyment from it.

To answer your question, yes you can do better than the aforementioned amp. I replaced mine with the A65+, which can be had for between £100-£150 (approx), or the A75+ (Approx £200).

If you want to change to a different brand, I'd look at s/hand Marantz PM7001 or Nad 352.

Personally, I would either buy a Arcam power amp or save the money and look at a Arcam A19 or Creek A50.

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
thanks for replies.

The arcams have had some negative reviews for being lightweight but I have the sub to cater for that I think. The NAD looks interesting. I had a 3020 years ago. I like the look of the arcams particularly the A70. What I'm saying I guess is I'd like some more opinions.

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Not trying to stir things up here but I found one of your past posts regarding the A18 here below.

I heard the A18 when I tested Usher, Linn and PMC speakers. It seemed a fairly well balanced amp but lacked.....well, just lacked. It was okay, but didn't have the wow factor - dull and uninteresting, you might say.

If you like the Arcam character, then go for one of the DIVA range - any of them. For around £300 you could get the DIVA flagship A85 on ebay. IMO the A65 Plus is more invigorating.

johnnyboy1950 said:
Not trying to stir things up here but I found one of your past posts regarding the A18 here below.

I heard the A18 when I tested Usher, Linn and PMC speakers. It seemed a fairly well balanced amp but lacked.....well, just lacked. It was okay, but didn't have the wow factor - dull and uninteresting, you might say.

If you like the Arcam character, then go for one of the DIVA range - any of them. For around £300 you could get the DIVA flagship A85 on ebay. IMO the A65 Plus is more invigorating.

No, that's fine. Can totally understand your reticence, given my remarks. However, let's keep this in context. I had at the time the A65+, which cost me brand new from a dealer (managed to haggle a little) for £350.

When Arcam introduced the A18, the dealer recommended I gave it a listen, and it retailed [I think £550. At least that was the dealers price], and to me I wouldn't pay extra £200 for a practical like-for-like amp.

I also have said the A18 had a little more clarity and detail than the A65, but IMO wasn't quite as musical. Nonetheless it is still a very good amp, and will out perform the Alpha 7. And for £200 it is well worth it, even without the remote.

JunglistJut

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I got a second hand arcam avr 300 for 200 quid and I use the bi amp feature to send 4x 100 watts to the front speakers.

Massive improvement over my old amp, which was also an arcam alpha 7

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I like the option of second hand value but I'm leaning now towards a new piece of kit. How would the yamaha AS500 new stack up against a S/H Arcam A85 or Nad equivelant? More importantly would it sound better than my current Arcam alpha 7

No idea about the AS-500. But a number of people on here have commented about its presentation. Some say it's a little bright.

But hi-fi isn't about lumping 5 star products together and live happy ever after. The main reason why I was pushing you towards the A18 is because they are great match with your MA. Synergy is the name of the game, not reviews.

EDIT - as regards the A85: It is a very good amp, as you would expect from a £900 machine. However, I would still go for the A18, as the DIVA range, like the Alphas, are the OAPs of the hi-fi world and reliablity could be an issue.

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes I know what you mean. I've seen Alpha 10s on ebay going for £250 minimum with no warranty. This has lead me to thinking new but my budget of 200-250 will limit me. However if technology has moved on with amps then perhaps I could do OK. I mentioned the yamaha as500 but also the marantz PM5005 looks interesting. I forgot to mention I'm just turned 64 so my hearing may not be as acute as some of the reviewers but I don't want to take a backward step in sound quality but want a more modern look. Buying new would be much easier but I'm still tempted by the S/H deals. So what's it to be S/h A18 or new yamaha or Marantz. As a reminder I have MA BX2's and a BK Gemini Sub.

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes I know what you mean. I've seen Alpha 10s on ebay going for £250 minimum with no warranty. This has led me to thinking new but my budget of 200-250 will limit me. However if technology has moved on with amps then perhaps I could do OK. I mentioned the yamaha as500 but also the marantz PM5005 looks interesting. I forgot to mention I'm just turned 64 so my hearing may not be as acute as some of the reviewers but I don't want to take a backward step in sound quality but want a more modern look. Buying new would be much easier but I'm still tempted by the S/H deals. So what's it to be S/h A18 or new yamaha or Marantz. As a reminder I have MA BX2's and a BK Gemini Sub.

johnnyboy1950 said:
Yes I know what you mean. I've seen Alpha 10s on ebay going for £250 minimum with no warranty. This has lead me to thinking new but my budget of 200-250 will limit me. However if technology has moved on with amps then perhaps I could do OK. I mentioned the yamaha as500 but also the marantz PM5005 looks interesting. I forgot to mention I'm just turned 64 so my hearing may not be as acute as some of the reviewers but I don't want to take a backward step in sound quality but want a more modern look. Buying new would be much easier but I'm still tempted by the S/H deals. So what's it to be S/h A18 or new yamaha or Marantz. As a reminder I have MA BX2's and a BK Gemini Sub.

You like the Arcam sound. All Arcams are great with MA speakers, I've owned Arcams for around 15 years and heard them with a hefty majority of different speakers.

Is the A18 the best amp ever made by Arcam? No. Is it a very good amp? Yes. Is it better than the Alpha 7R? Yes. The A18 is even better value at current s/hand prices. You probably know which colour flag I'll wave.

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Sorry about double post mess up think I've got it sorted now.

How about this as a different aproach? A Marantz PM6005. I have a NAD DAC 1 for streaming PC files and spotify. This has a coax digital output . Also I could sell my Arcam alpha 7 CDP for more funds. Instead I could use my DVD Player {Sony DVP NS76P} which has an optical Digital output so I could feed both into the PM6005. The Sony sounds not quite as good as the Arcam with analogue phonos as inputs but using the Marantz DAC I could maybe close the gap? Also is the Marantz DAC better then the NAD DAC 1. I could choose either. If people dont recommend the use of the Marantz DAC then I could go for the PM5005.

There again the Yamaha is still lurking in the corner looking tempting!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts