Question Suggestions for System Changes / Upgrades

George77

Oct 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi - first time posting so apologies if I get anything wrong!

I live in the US and currently have:

- Cambridge cxn v2 streamer
- Schiit yggdrasil DAC
- Schiit ragnarok (being used as pre-amp, I'm not a tube guy so didn't want to use Freya)
- 2 x Schiit aegir in mono
- KEF LS50 metas

Despite great reviews for the Schiit / LS50 combination, and I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but the sound through the ls50s seems to lack some emotion / engagement (sorry for poor descriptive skills). I have never had that 'hairs standing up on the back of your neck' moment through them. It seems to do everything ok, but without pulling me into the music.

If it helps, I previously had (1) cyrus equipment and either wharfedale or spendor speakers, and really enjoyed that kind of sound a lot, but cyrus is hard to get hold of here and after multiple issues shipping them to get repaired, decided I needed something easier to maintain! and then (2) LS50W which I also liked a lot without loving it, but upgrade-itis got me so I bought the Schiit stuff, but feel I've actually kind of gone backwards and spent more money in the process :(

I'm wondering if there's a weak link in there? Should change out the speakers for some floorstanders? Are there any suggestions to audition in the $2000 - $3000 range?

Or just start from scratch with an integrated amp / streamer and better speakers?

Any other thoughts very welcome as I'm getting frustrated!!!!

I listen mostly to electronic music and stuff like Florence and the Machine, Bjork, Lorde etc. Room is relatively small 25 feet x 20 feet and I rarely play at extreme volume.

Thank you!

Tinman1952

Hi - first time posting so apologies if I get anything wrong!

I live in the US and currently have:

- Cambridge cxn v2 streamer
- Schiit yggdrasil DAC
- Schiit ragnarok (being used as pre-amp, I'm not a tube guy so didn't want to use Freya)
- 2 x Schiit aegir in mono
- KEF LS50 metas

Despite great reviews for the Schiit / LS50 combination, and I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but the sound through the ls50s seems to lack some emotion / engagement (sorry for poor descriptive skills). I have never had that 'hairs standing up on the back of your neck' moment through them. It seems to do everything ok, but without pulling me into the music.

If it helps, I previously had (1) cyrus equipment and either wharfedale or spendor speakers, and really enjoyed that kind of sound a lot, but cyrus is hard to get hold of here and after multiple issues shipping them to get repaired, decided I needed something easier to maintain! and then (2) LS50W which I also liked a lot without loving it, but upgrade-itis got me so I bought the Schiit stuff, but feel I've actually kind of gone backwards and spent more money in the process :(

I'm wondering if there's a weak link in there? Should change out the speakers for some floorstanders? Are there any suggestions to audition in the $2000 - $3000 range?

Or just start from scratch with an integrated amp / streamer and better speakers?

Any other thoughts very welcome as I'm getting frustrated!!!!

I listen mostly to electronic music and stuff like Florence and the Machine, Bjork, Lorde etc. Room is relatively small 25 feet x 20 feet and I rarely play at extreme volume.

Thank you!
Personally I suspect it is the speakers. I had the original KEF LS50s and quickly tired of them. Raised treble output between 2kHz and 5 kHz was tiring and soundstage was wide but shallow. But mostly they presented music as ‘sound’ not music. They were called ‘mini monitors’ and I think that explains the voicing KEF chose.
Try something like the Wharfedale 4.3 if you can to get the mojo back! 🙂

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I had a full cyrus system for years. I also recently had the Kef LS50 Wireless Meta's (sold) and another more costly active speaker.

The Kef have many good points, most well documented and are imho superb. However, there are more 'involving' but less technically accomplished designs out there which may suit some folks more.

I can't comment on your amplifiers but you have opted for mono's which again could lead to a more analytical presentation.

It's difficult to say where to start but personally I'd try some different speakers first if you can as that will make the biggest difference.

I am biased but I'd start at something like a Quad S2 or maybe some ProAc Tablettes.

Dom

I'm sorry to hear your fustrated, I am too. How long have you had the system up and running? It maybe that you need to run-in your system to get the performance you desire. I have been running in my system for 7 years and it sounds good finally.

Last edited:

George77

Oct 15, 2021
Visit site
Thanks all for suggestions. I've had the system just over 6 months so it's well run in at this point.

I'd tried running a single aegir in stereo and found it lacked a bit of clout and scale, but that might be the speakers again as I gather they're hard to drive.

There's a dealer nearby who stocks sonus faber and wharfedale, so that could be an option to try out.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

I'm sorry to hear your fustrated, I am too. How long have you had the system up and running? It maybe that you need to run-in your system to get the performance you desire. I have been running in my system for 7 years and it sounds good finally.
😁 7years!? Is that running it in….or wearing it out?

Reactions: Dom

TRENDING THREADS