Suggestions for rear speaker cable upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, as you can probably tell from my other posts I have a bad case of upgrade-itis at the moment. I am currently using Chord Leyline speaker cable for my surrounds; they are MA RSFX with a Yamaha RXV3900 amp; can anybody suggest a suitable upgrade? My front and centre speaker are wired with Chord Odyssey 2 cable. Thanks

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
As you have the Chord Odyssey 2 for the fronts your logical upgrade would be Chord Rumour 2 for the rears. They go well together and were recommended to me when i got my first system 8 years ago. I have recently upgraded every part of my system within the last 12 months except the speaker cables.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion but I need 2x10m runs and the Chord Rumour 2 would work out a bit pricey.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes that's the problem with rear cable lengths. It's a shame that the Rumour 2 has just gone up about £3 per metre although £220 for 20m is not really that bad but it's seems alot. Ok you could buy in 2 stages so get one 10m first then get the other one later , i did do this with mine as i got a length wrong when i first did it so had my original first cable left on my 10m rear (some danish flat cable) for some time till i got round to replacing it. Your other less expensive options would be Chord Carnival Silver Screen (£5.40pm) , QED Anniversary XT silver (£5.40pm) or QED Silver Micro (£3.60pm). Personally i would go the 2 stage route but either way i would stick with Chord as you have a good quality one on your fronts.

A

Anonymous

mrjjinx:Thanks for the suggestion but I need 2x10m runs and the Chord Rumour 2 would work out a bit pricey.

Thats a lot of cable. What are the dimensions of your room?

If you're looking to keep cost down QED Micro (not Silver) can be picked up for £1.50 per metre.

A

Anonymous

I have QED Micro and can't see me upgrading unless I end up with large sized rear speakers.

A

Anonymous

The reason the lengths need to be so long is that my furthest away speaker is about 9.5m away, and I thought it was important to keep the cable runs of equal lengths. I am willing to pay around the £5 per m mark, as long as it will give me an improvment over the Chord I already have in place.

Thanks for all the replys so far!

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
mrjjinx:
I thought it was important to keep the cable runs of equal lengths.

Is it i've not come across this one before ? I've had a couple of speaker cables over the years and none of the dealers i've got the cable of ever said i needed the same length when i said do me a 1m , 2m , 3m , 8m and 10m in the same purchase. Mine are the lengths to reach the speakers from the amp not equal lenghts. Can't say i've ever given it a second thought till you just said it.

A

Anonymous

It is better to keep lengths the same for main front stereo speakers.

This matters less on rears though and mine are about 5m and 10m and I can't tell any difference.

A

Anonymous

From what I read and my own tests, I cant hear a difference.

I put qed xt on one speaker and cheap bell wire on the other and put them both side to side, and I could not hear anything different.

So I am buying QED Micro for the fronts as well from now on if needed.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't spend much on cable for the surrounds as, surround effects are not so demanding as the front and centre channel, as they will give only ambience effects. I Have cheap 1.5mm cable bought from ebay at 20pounds a reel an it works great, for the fronts and centre, it made a difference to change cables.

Sliced Bread

I have Odyssey 4 on the front and QED Micro on the rear. It works just fine, I get excellent integration. With sounds convincingly coming from between the speakers.

I'm sure that using identical cable throughout will yield even better results, but the cost of using expensive cable on the rears is just not worth it IMO (and I'm fussy).

When you consider that the speakers on the rear are in many cases (especially with your MA RSFX) a very different design to the rest of the speakers there must be huge tonal differences between them (you wouldn't put one of them on the left channel and use a standard speaker on the right) yet you still get good integration front to back.

The sonic differences between cables is going to be even less.

Save the money.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replys, I think that I will just leave it as it is with the Chord Leyline fitted.

TRENDING THREADS