Suggestions and Help!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm starting to get together a great vinyl collection and I want to invest in a turn table to enjoy the tunes on, but I really don't have a clue where to start.

My budget is a maximum of £200 so I'm looking for some suggestions from folk in the know.

What I'm looking for is:

- Something that looks stylish and could be a show piece of a room.

- Something with great sound quality (standard requirement) for my budget.

This may seem like a silly question, but will I need speakers with the turntable or do speaker come built in?

I appreciate your help!

Tom

A

Anonymous

Oh right. I remember my mum had an old record player which just played music through built in speakers, thats not the case any more then?

I've got an amp and some speakers already, its about 5 or 6 years old now, but it was a top of the range Sony one when I got it. The speakers aren't that bad either.

For 200 spends what brand of turntable should I look out for or are there too many to say? Its probably a broad question.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Thomas,

You need to check and see whether your amplifier has a phono output or not.....if not then you will need to budget for a phono pre amp to sit between your turntable and amplifier.

I would suggest second hand you could look for a Rega Planar 2 or maybe a Rega Planar 3...which are good solid second hand turntables....however depending on the age of the cartridge you may need to replace that.

I think new wise the Rega RP-1, which was given five stars by what hifi would be an option. Also I believe you could get a Pro-Ject TT new as well for that price.....I believe both of these new options would come complete with cartridge.

Hope that helps a bit.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Ok, so your amp has a phono stage built in. That's great. You just need a Turntable, then.

If you want a contemporary design, for not much cash, i'd recommend my TT: the Pro-Ject RPM4. It can be had for £100-£150, second hand. The RPM 5 ius even prettier, but I don't think you'd get one for less than £250 second hand.

Here's the RPM 4:

and here's the RPM 5:

A

Anonymous

For £200 quid why not look at something like the Rega RP1? The white version looks quite special and sounds great for the price.

If you then start getting into hi-fi more over the years you have a great starting point for a great system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts