Suggestion to turntable selection

Viclam

New member
May 29, 2016
1
0
0
Hello all,

Greetings from Singapore.

I need suggestions to which turntable should I purchase. For some reasons that I can't explain, these turntables listed are priced similarly in Singapore.

1) Audio-technica AT-LP5 (S$598)

2) Audio-technica AT-LP1240 (S$548)

3) Rega RP1 Standard (S$580)

4) Music Hall MMF 2.2 (S$699)

5) Pro-Ject Essential II (S$650)

I'm looking for a suitable turntable that sounds great and has upgrading possibilities in the future like changing the mat and cartridge. Music I listen to are the likes of Diana Krall, Coldplay, Norah Jones and Pink Martini.

What are your 1st and 2nd choices?

Thanks in advance
 
Viclam said:
Hello all,

Greetings from Singapore.

I need suggestions to which turntable should I purchase. For some reasons that I can't explain, these turntables listed are priced similarly in Singapore.

1) Audio-technica AT-LP5 (S$598)

2) Audio-technica AT-LP1240 (S$548)

3) Rega RP1 Standard (S$580)

4) Music Hall MMF 2.2 (S$699)

5) Pro-Ject Essential II (S$650)

I'm looking for a suitable turntable that sounds great and has upgrading possibilities in the future like changing the mat and cartridge. Music I listen to are the likes of Diana Krall, Coldplay, Norah Jones and Pink Martini.

What are your 1st and 2nd choices?

Thanks in advance
What is the rest of your equipment? All of these can be upgraded with a new cartridge. The mat change alone is rarely an upgrade.

It's pretty much down to aesthetics at this price point and depends if you need a built-in phono preamp or not. Personally I would have Rega or Music Hall.
 

Viclam

New member
May 29, 2016
1
0
0
Thank you for your reply!

My setup currently: Onkyo TR-646 AV receiver (phono input present), Q-Acoustics 2000i Series 5.1 Cinema Pack. So I really do not need the phono stage built in inside a turntable.

The Audio Technica LP5 was chosen by What Hi-Fi best turntable for under 400 pounds. I did a check on the specifications for the LP5 and found out that the wow & flutter as well as the S/N ratio are not better than the LP1240. That was what surprises me.
 
D

Deleted member 108165

Guest
Viclam said:
The Audio Technica LP5 was chosen by What Hi-Fi best turntable for under 400 pounds. I did a check on the specifications for the LP5 and found out that the wow & flutter as well as the S/N ratio are not better than the LP1240. That was what surprises me.
It should not surprise you as these tables are almost identical under the skin, (AT, Pioneer, Stanton, Reloop, Numark, etc). They are mass-produced Hanpin turntables, just re-badged and re-shelled.
 
May 30, 2016
0
0
0
My direct drive Technics SL-1200 recently broke down, and I replaced it with a belt-driven UTurn Orbit. It was only $214 (American dollars) complete with an Ortofon OM-5e cartridge. So far I'm very pleased with the made-in-Boston unit. You may easily Google for the webpage.

This is the setup:

UTurn Orbit turntable with Ortofon OM-5E

Sirius XM satellite radio tuner

Tascam CD-RW901 MkII compact disc player / recorder

Tascam 112 MkII cassette deck

Octava Smart Scan audio/video switcher (set used for video system as well)

McIntosh C22 preamplifier

McIntosh MC275 amplifier

JBL JRX-225 loudspeakers (2)

By the way, the UTurn Orbit is also available with a built-in phono stage if one doesn't have a phono input on one's system..
 

Viclam

New member
May 29, 2016
1
0
0
Thank you everyone for the suggestion.

I am now given the opportunity to purchase a demo set Rega RP1 performance pack version from a local distributer at an attractive price. Should I go for it? I heard that RP1 has speed control issues. Are they fixed yet?
 

knaithrover

Moderator
Nov 24, 2013
217
89
18,870
Viclam said:
Thank you everyone for the suggestion.

I am now given the opportunity to purchase a demo set Rega RP1 performance pack version from a local distributer at an attractive price. Should I go for it? I heard that RP1 has speed control issues. Are they fixed yet?
I have an RP1 and ever had an issue with the speed or anything else for that matter, easy to use and sounds great for the money
 

thescarletpronster

New member
Nov 17, 2012
10
0
0
Viclam said:
I heard that RP1 has speed control issues.
If you mean that the speed is not entirely stable, I think that the RP1 is as stable as any turntable at the price, and you're unlikely to notice any variability. If you mean that you have to remove the platter in order to change between 33 and 45rpm, that's a design choice as part of Rega's minimalist approach, and unlikely to be changed.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts