Suggestion for worthwhile Desktop amp upgrade from z-5500

Moggzor

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello. This is my first time posting on a forum and I am also new to reading up on audio equipment so go easy on me :p

I have used a Logitec Z-5500 system as desktop speakers for a long time and felt like upgrading to something better. I play music and games at moderate volume and am more interested in quality than quanity.

I purchased a pair of Dali Zensor 1 speakers and am currently using them as front monitors for my Z-5500 system. The audio quality has noticably improved but I can't keep from wondering if I am hampering the potential of my new speakers and how much I need to spend to get noticable better performance out of them. I already own a good dac I can use (AMI-DS5) so all I really need is an amplifier for my speakers.

If I were to buy a new amplifier I would also need to get a new sub bass if I want to use one since the z-5500 sub is not compitable with a different amplifier.

So basically I am trying to get the most value for my money and only buying if it would be a significant improvement over what I currently have.

On amazon I have seen a few cheap desktop amps with good reviews, do you think I would have alot to gain from using one of them instead of my current setup? From my understanding it is posslbe to connect an active sub later if I so desire as long as the sub has an high level input connection.

My equipment
http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/z5500-digital-51-speaker-system
http://amimuse.com/products/ami-musik-ds5/
http://www.dali-speakers.com/loudspeakers/zensor/zensor-1/

Desktop amps on amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008Y7S198?psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JESRNKO?psc=1&smid=AOL7GLIHHNW18
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topping-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Digital-Headphone/dp/B00J9BG5HS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1463477656&sr=1-1&keywords=topping+vx1

Thank you!

rainsoothe

You'll get much, much better sound with your budget with active studio monitors - like Yamaha hs 5 or hs 7, or Adam a5x + USB audio interface with volume control. Do this, if you can sell your dalis.

Moggzor

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your answer and suggestions!

I wish to keep as versitile as possible for different types of setups in the future and would therefore prefer not buying active monitors if possible. For example I may use the speakers as front or rear speakers in a surround setup when I get more space. From what I have read the Dali speakers are also very good for the price and I already like them :p

Since I already have an good DAC with preamp I can use to switch between headphones and speakers I was hoping I could get a very simple and price effective amplifier serving the single purpose of providing power to my Dali speakers without the need for extra functionality.

Why don't you think the amplifiers I linked to at Amazon will suffice in doing what I am after?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Moggzor said:

I wish to keep as versitile as possible for different types of setups in the future and would therefore prefer not buying active monitors if possible. For example I may use the speakers as front or rear speakers in a surround setup when I get more space. From what I have read the Dali speakers are also very good for the price and I already like them :p

Since I already have an good DAC with preamp I can use to switch between headphones and speakers I was hoping I could get a very simple and price effective amplifier serving the single purpose of providing power to my Dali speakers without the need for extra functionality.

Why don't you think the amplifiers I linked to at Amazon will suffice in doing what I am after?

The amplifiers you link to are cheap, chinese built chip amplifiers that are, shall we say, rather optimistically specified, and the various models vary enormously. There are, if reviews are to be believed, some decent examples available and some that are really pretty poor. There are so many on the market that sorting the good from the not so good is largely pot luck.

If you are in the UK, spend a little extra and get a 'branded' entry level integrated from Richers, a Pioneer or Denon perhaps. If that is too much to spend, buy one of the models on your list and hope for the best.

rainsoothe

davedotco said:
Moggzor said:

Why don't  you think the amplifiers I linked to at Amazon will suffice in doing what I am after?

The amplifiers you link to are cheap, chinese built chip amplifiers that are, shall we say, rather optimistically specified, and the various models vary enormously. There are, if reviews are to be believed, some decent examples available and some that are really pretty poor. There are so many on the market that sorting the good from the not so good is largely pot luck.

If you are in the UK, spend a little extra and get a 'branded' entry level integrated from Richers, a Pioneer or Denon perhaps. If that is too much to spend, buy one of the models on your list and hope for the best.

+1. Add Marantz to your list if it fits your budget, since Marantz pairs Dali very well.

Also, you can use actives in surround systems that have amplifiers with pre outs - probably your Logitech doesn't, so if you wanna keep that, then actives aren't an option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts