Suggest speakers to audition.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I have just upgraded my AV system to Pioneer BDP51FD and Arcam Av9 P7, just the speakers left to go.

Currently using Kef 2005 eggs, by far the weakest link in the system!

I have auditioned Kef Reference (too big but amazing sound), Spendor A5 and A6 (lovely sound for stereo but not convinced for movies), MA RS6 and GS20 (neither grabbed me, dont know why) and Dali Ikon 6 (surprised how much I enjoyed these, but too big/need too much room). My current top picks are the PMC DB1i/GB1i's I auditioned first, loved the detail and dynamics they gave music, and I suspect will be great for movies too although could not demo this.

I would like alternative suggestions to audition, in the £1000-2000 price bracket for a stereo pair, preferably compact floorstanders but will consider standmounts. They need to be happy fairly close to the wall, in a room about 4m x 4.5m. They will be eventually be in a matching 5.1 system, and the rears need to be wall mountable and preferably smallish.

Any grand ideas?

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
The Quad L-ite package would fit the bill. ÿIt is also beautifully finished and looks great (popular with other halves!!) ÿThis has not been reviewed here in Mk2 form, but the originals very popular and well thought-of. ÿI read a very favourable report elsewhere.

You can also easily upgrade this package (as many of us have) by using larger speakers from the L2 range at the front - 11L2 or 12L2. ÿThis allows you to move the surplus L-ite satellites to the rear and enjoy 7.1 sound. ÿThere are some cheap brackets available in Maplin if you want to wall-mount these speakers. ÿThey work well if properly tightened.ÿ

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Sorry - I should have read the original post more carefully. ÿI misunderstood your budget! ÿCertainly, the PMCs would be great if your (relatively) small room can accommodate them.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
So two thumbs up for the PMC's then, which is reassuring. Any suggestions for alternative makes/models to try?

ÿ

Also, will the room be too small for the FB1i'ss, or am I already pushing it with the GB1i's?

ÿ

Cheers in advanceÿ

A

Anonymous

How about some lovely Neat Motive 2's. They're allegedly easy to place, exciting and dynamic and will hopefully suit your room size. The Spendor A5s are better though
emotion-5.gif

The PMC GB1's are very nice too and good allrounders based on my experience of them. The FB1s will need more space for sure.

alanalan

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
I'll throw a suggestion in for Epos.

The floorstanders aren't short of bass, but they don't delve down into the bass depths the same way the PMCs do, but very fast, very detailed speakers. With a good sub in the system you won't go far wrong.

For the sub I'd go for an MJ Acoustics one. Clever cross-overs and two inputs mean the sub will both extend the bass of the floorstanders through one connection and do the regular '.1' duties through another. Independant controls mean you can tweak each input for frequency and volume so, with a little bit of time, you can get really excellent integration and top notch music and movies low end.

Hi Gregvet

If you are looking for stereo speakers up to the £2k price level than i will suggest that you also consider ATC's SCM19 or SCM40 models. They are not not too fussy about room placement due to the closed box design and especially their neutral presentation.

I believe they will work extremely well with the Arcams as has been the experience of my customers who have purchased ATC's to go with their Arcam components.

http://www.atc.gb.net/scm19.htm

http://www.atc.gb.net/sc,40.htm

The SCM19's feature ATC's Super Linear Magnet Technology mid-bass unit. More infomation here on page 10 of the download -

http://www.atc.gb.net/downloads/CompanyProfile.pdf

The SCM40's feature the ATC's Soft Dome Mid-Range driver. More information here -

http://www.atc.gb.net/studioDriveUnits.htm

ATC also have the C1 MK2 subwoofer, C3C MK2 centre, C1C MK2 centre, SCM7 and SCM11 speakers available in the series to build a complete AV speaker package.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Yeah the ATC's look nice, i just wish these manufacturers had bloody dealers in my neck of the woods! I guess I will have to go up to london one afternoon to try some of these makes.

A

Anonymous

Neat motive's 1's or 2's or the tannoy rev sig dc6t. The tannoys make for an awesome 5.1 system and im guessing they could be the best all rounders for movies and music. Worth a listen for sure.

gregvet:Yeah the ATC's look nice, i just wish these manufacturers had bloody dealers in my neck of the woods! I guess I will have to go up to london one afternoon to try some of these makes.

Hi Gregvet

I have been selling ATC products for a few years now and they are fairly priced and stunning products. Your components will open up the performance potential of those advanced, massive and superbly built drive units and in turn the ATC's will help the Arcam's to breathe.

I have all the ATC's in stock that i have mentioned in my previous post so you are more than welcome to visit us. You can also bring along your components along with you as well.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the invite Rick. I would love to take you up on it, but its a fair old treck from Brighton, and I am working every night at the moment so no chance of doing a grand tour for a little while. I have some time off in August so if I have not purchased by then I will certainly consider coming to see you and your ATC's!

Bringing my 50kg Arcam AV9/P7 combination may be another thing entirely however.

gregvet:

Thanks for the invite Rick. I would love to take you up on it, but its a fair old treck from Brighton, and I am working every night at the moment so no chance of doing a grand tour for a little while. I have some time off in August so if I have not purchased by then I will certainly consider coming to see you and your ATC's!

Bringing my 50kg Arcam AV9/P7 combination may be another thing entirely however.

Hi Gregvet

I hope that you'll be in a position to visit us. Don't forget the amps though!

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts