Suggest an arm please . . .

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was recently lucky enough to get hold of a Elite Rock II.

What I'd like some guidance on is whether I should fully mode up the
RB250 that I've got or get something else, say the Roksan Tabriz, Zeta,
Helius Orion or . . . any other suggestions? £450 max. second hand. Arm
board isn't an issue. Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Moth with incognito wiring. And I suggest the JA Michells technoweight as an upgrade.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Use the RB250 that you already have.

Buy the Michell Tecnoweight (£70 ish) or look on ebay for people selling a stainless steel RB300 end stub (I have seen them on ebay regularly) then get the Rega Tungsten counterweight. (£55)

Use the remaining budget for an Ortofon 2M Black (£350).

This will make a far more striking upgrade than a rewire of the arm. (You can still do that at a later stage.)

[edit] Take some time to align the cartridge using the Stevenson (for Rega arms mounted with effective arm length of 222mm) arc protractor available free to download here and ensure that when you print it, you take any print size/constraints off. Measure the two reference lines on the print to check.

There is also a Baerwald (for Rega arms) arc protractor on the same site... here

If you want to spend the last £25 - £30 of your £450 budget then that will either get you a brand new copy of the HFN test record or a Shure SFG-2 stylus tracking force gauge.

A

Anonymous

Ahhh I misread. I thought you said "fully mode up on the RB250.." and then I missed the "I've got" bit.

No I'd never advise someone to replace an RB250 with an RB250 of a different name. Chebby's got it there. He reads posts carefully.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
A fully modded RB250 would be very difficult to beat for under £1000 - unless you're lucky enough to get a 2nd hand SME 309 arm for your budget, but that would be unlikely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts