Looking to upgrade my CD Player (Marantz CD6000OSE KI)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm really not sure where to go with this upgrade. I'm currently using the CD6000 as a transport only, feeding a new model Cambridge DACMagic. Adding the DACMagic did make a big difference to the sound but I think that an CD upgrade will improve my system. There is an edgyness to the sound at times and complex music gets a bit mashed up. It sound fantastic with simple acoustic instruments though. The DACmagic really does live up to the reviews.

My system is based on Arcam Alpha 10 Integrated amp bi-amped with the Alpha 10 Power. Have used this combination for a number of years now, driving Proac Response D15s. Recently upgraded the speaker cable to Chord Super Twin bi-wire (not sure that was a smart move as it has made only a minor improvement). My last major purchase was an ex-dem Michell Orbe SE, with RB250 and Ortofon 2M blue. Love the sound of this but fully appreciate that this is only the beginning of what the Orbe can deliver with a better arm and cartridge, but that's another story!

Not sure of budget or whether to go for a CD transport and later a DAC upgrade. Would probably go up to Orbe money if I had to!

My musical taste is fairly broadband now but was brought up on a diet of prog rock. Also like some classical, jazz, acoustic etc.

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions please.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I think you would need to spend a significant wedge of money to really make a worthwhile upgrade from your Marantz.

I would have thought something like a Cyrus CD6SE or entry level Naim player, especially with your amplification.

How about going for a better DAC first, using your (decent) CD palyer as transport? A Cyrus DAC X or similar would make a huge difference (you can get last years model for around 750 pounds, new). This would also allow for future developments such as streaming from a PC for example...

T

the record spot

Some places are selling the Marantz SA15S2 SACD/CDP for £700 - about £500 off I think. The Home Cinema Centre in Morrison Street in Edinburgh had it in the window earlier this week. Might be worth checking if this is across all dealers or a one-off. That particular model's been out a while, so worth checking.

And see also Eastern Electric, Unison Research, et al, for some other options beyond the usual suspects.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies thus far from jockey.wilson and the record spot, both much appreciated.

Responding to the record spot's suggestion - I have always liked Marantz kit. The KI versions are always worth the difference though and have the look, feel and weight of "real kit". I've had the cover off the CD6000 and it seems very well put together. I have had a secret desire for the new KI Perls but I'm not sure that I want to spend that much money, especially as I think that the Perl CDP and amp really need to be bought together, so around £5k total. I'll certainly have a look at the SA15S2 but I think I'm looking for a real step change in performance with my next CDP (which will possibly be the one I'll retire / die with).

Jock.wilson makes an interesting point about keeping the CD6000 for the time being and upgrading to a better DAC. I like the Cyrus kit and had already thought about buying one of the Cyrus DACs, perhaps adding a Cyrus transport at some later point too. Went for the DACMagic instead due to all of the good reviews (a low risk purchase as at Richer Sounds, you can usually take it back if it fails to please). Would I see a massive improvement in sound if I invested in a better DAC? How much would I have to spend to feel that it had been worthwhile? The DACMagic is low cost, compared to some and does make £200 worth of difference to a budget CDP. Longer term, the A10 amps will be upgraded so I'm looking to minimise further upgrades after that.

I'm also up for radical change to the CD/DAC soon and the amps later, if anyone has any thoughts. Happy to keep the Proac speakers long term. Like the difference that bi-amping seems to do to.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I guess you need to decide how much you want to spend. I do think that that 700-800 pounds spent on a new CD will give you a significant improvement.

Similarly, 800 pounds or so on a new DAC is also likely to be a very worthwhile upgrade from the Dacmagic. If you are looking to the future, then go the whole hog and get a new pre amp/DAC combo (Cyrus DAC XP, £1500 for 2009 model) or similar from Chord et al.

Take your Marantz in and compare directly. Only then will you be able to decide whether or not its money well spent.

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I recently Bought a MARANTZ CD 6000OSE, And I am still waiting on The Delivery. I was wandering if Any body Has done any Modifications on Adding a Tube OUTPUT on The Cd Player, if so How would I go about it, Whats Involved and What Would I be up for in Costs, and Should it be Possible will it Improve The Sound . And What OUTPUT Vacuum tubes would you recommend , I would like to use 2 X 12AX 7 or 2 X ECC85 or Any other Tube's that you Recommend.

Your Help will be greatfully Appreciated.

Kind Regards

Francis Jansz

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Francis Smokey JANSZ said:
I recently Bought a MARANTZ CD 6000OSE, And I am still waiting on The Delivery. I was wandering if Any body Has done any Modifications on Adding a Tube OUTPUT on The Cd Player, if so How would I go about it, Whats Involved and What Would I be up for in Costs, and Should it be Possible will it Improve The Sound . And What OUTPUT Vacuum tubes would you recommend , I would like to use 2 X 12AX 7 or 2 X ECC85 or Any other Tube's that you Recommend.

Your Help will be greatfully Appreciated.

Kind Regards

Francis Jansz

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
http://www.choice-hifi.com/Musical-Fidelity/M6-CD/prod/7651

or if there's any way you could afford this

http://www.choice-hifi.com/Accuphase/DP500/prod/7875

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts