Sucker For Great Bass - Your Go To Track

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AJM1981

A journey along unknown trip hop and related style tracks on spotify radio is recommendable.

When it comes to great pop and rock tracks, Jazz bassists started it all long ago with their upright bass motives carrying the music.

D

Deleted member 201267

I'm such a sucker for a great bass line / player in a track and it also compliments a great HiFi setup.

Doesn't have to be full on / pounding in your face, sometimes the subtle licks / fills up the fret board are the best.

Was just listening to Nikita by Elton John which is amazing and whilst trying to set a Sub crossover the other day stumbled across - Nights on Broadway ... The Candi Station version which I hadn't heard for years.

Other faves in my past have been Paul Young's bass player Pino Palladino and Paul McCartney / Wings - Silly Love Songs has a great bassline that almost drives the song / gives it it's melody.

Would really love to hear others suggestions for tracks with great bass lines / players as it can so often contributes to the overall feel of a song but also sounds amazing when played through a half decent system.

Squarepusher - Solo Electric Bass 1.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Anything of off the hip-hop album Brand new second hand by Roots Manuva as your quickly learn if your hi-fi system bass is up to the job with any track from that album. Fun fact that there is a picture of a vintage Triumph amplifier in the albums inner sleeve.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Mike Howlett, of GONG. , Isle of Everywhere, Master Builder.
James Jamerson, Motown studio bassist everything he did was perfection.
Les Claypool. PRIMUS.
John Paul Jones. Led Zeppelin. Everything he did was brilliant.

Mark Dunlop

Nov 15, 2022
Visit site
I love Norman Watt-Roy's work with Ian Dury - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick has a belting bass line! Andy Fraser playing more or less anything with Free kicks butt - likewise John Entwistle with The Who.
m.d.

Reactions: jjbomber

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I find him very patchy too, but am puzzled by his singing as being viewed as poor. This thread sent me to Talking Book, and whilst Superstition is a great song, As from Songs in the Key of Life is a sterner test.

Neither get anywhere near Elvis Costello's Pump it Up, or Muse's Madness or New Born, though!
Elvis Costellos Beyond Belief, pretty good as well

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
James Jameson is favourite of mine, Larry Graham, from Sly and the Family Stone. Roger Waters came out with pretty decent bass lines I always thought. God.......There's an endless list. The guy in Muse.....awesome, Chris Wolstenholme. My list could be endless.
I'm a bass player, I always listen out for the bass lines. Mike Howlett from Gong, I love his playing. He was playing in the largest night club in the Southern Hemisphere to up to two thousand people every night, before Gong hired him in 1972. Gong......I love that band that's about the only rock music I can be bothered with now, but only the 'real' Gong from the Virgin Years, with Daevid Allen as the front man.
Vivaldi came up with some great 'walking' bass lines in some of his compositions.😀

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts