Sucker For Great Bass - Your Go To Track

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

I find him very patchy too, but am puzzled by his singing as being viewed as poor. This thread sent me to Talking Book, and whilst Superstition is a great song, As from Songs in the Key of Life is a sterner test.

Neither get anywhere near Elvis Costello's Pump it Up, or Muse's Madness or New Born, though!
I've heard worse singers than Stevie, can only be honest and say that, to me, E. Costello is one of them 🙂....(I saw E.C. live in the 70s as part of the Stiff records tour....but I was paid to be there).
As is always said, "each to their own" 👍

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

I have a slightly different view - I'd rather listen to someone with a voice with character (or what I perceive to be character) and singing with feeling, rather than just what might be deemed vocal talent. That isn't explaining it very well, I freely admit.
I can probably sing with character 🙂
No, I understand what you mean 👍
Stevie W. actually sings with more feeling than most, but I remember a work colleague (in a 'discussion' about our favourite music) telling me that he thought S.W. sang flat. I reckon he might have been mistaking feeling for flatness, but I got the point.....it's always going to be subjective.

Reactions: 12th Monkey

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I find him very patchy too, but am puzzled by his singing as being viewed as poor. This thread sent me to Talking Book, and whilst Superstition is a great song, As from Songs in the Key of Life is a sterner test.

Neither get anywhere near Elvis Costello's Pump it Up, or Muse's Madness or New Born, though!
He’s probably a very fine singer (range, tone and ability to hit a note) but imo, his songs range from excellent (early solo albums) to outright naff .

Jimbodinho

May 30, 2022
Visit site
Other faves in my past have been Paul Young's bass player Pino Palladino and Paul McCartney / Wings - Silly Love Songs has a great bassline that almost drives the song / gives it it's melody.

Then you'll probably like 'Just Wrong', the first track on Palladino's album with Blake Mills. Fantastic bass line and also some incredible sub bass. It instantly became on of my favourite reference tracks - just incredible production.

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2019
Visit site
I'd be curious how folks feel about the bass in Joan Osborne's Right Hand Man:

Maybe some classic John Entwistle?

Then give Mike Watt a shot:

I hope these are new for some of you, at least.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Clarkey_71

Witterings

Not "Outstanding" ability but it drives the song and gives it a lot of it's melody

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCjMZMxNr-0

Having just posted the above, the next track led into this ... Rio was also suggested by another above ... he's obviously just a great bass player overall

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NF6Qa84mno

What’s funnier … having posted this I scrolled down to look at the comments on YouTube and loads about a great bass player s just edited and added this 😊

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS