Subwoofer volume

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys
I have a 5.1 setup which when I play music I tune it into 2.1. I find that my sub intergrates with my fronts very well when the subwoofer volume is way down at around 3:00 but when I switch to movies the sub is not audible at that subwoofer volume. I always have to stand up to increase the sub volume to 12:00 when I watch movies and back to 3:00 when I listen to music.

I am getting tired of making this trips to the subwoofer to adjust the sub volume and Im looking for a solution. Will adjusting the sub volume on the receiver in the speaker level menu while leaving the volume dial on the sub at the same level achieve the same effect as adjusting the volume dial on the subwoofer itself?

Please advice.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
power said:
Will adjusting the sub volume on the receiver in the speaker level menu while leaving the volume dial on the sub at the same level achieve the same effect as adjusting the volume dial on the subwoofer itself? Please advice.

I think so, yes. It won't take you long to actually do the experiment!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
power said:
Hi Guys I have a 5.1 setup which when I play music I tune it into 2.1. I find that my sub intergrates with my fronts very well when the subwoofer volume is way down at around 3:00 but when I switch to movies the sub is not audible at that subwoofer volume. I always have to stand up to increase the sub volume to 12:00 when I watch movies and back to 3:00 when I listen to music. I am getting tired of making this trips to the subwoofer to adjust the sub volume and Im looking for a solution. Will adjusting the sub volume on the receiver in the speaker level menu while leaving the volume dial on the sub at the same level achieve the same effect as adjusting the volume dial on the subwoofer itself? Please advice.

Yes it is the same. Just reduce the DB in receiver menus for the subwoofer level when listening to music and turn it back to normal level for other times. There might be some short cut keys or saving preferences (based on the source type - ex, 2 channel PCM etc) but it depends on the receiver.

A

Anonymous

The volume on the sub should be set once and then left alone.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Ill try that and see what happens. My understanding of the speaker level set up using either the SPL metre or the room correction technology that comes with the new receivers is to ensure that all speakers are at the same db level when heard from the desired position. Does this apply to the sub also?

Im asking this because the sub volume is very low in movies when the above principle is used. Any advice on this.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
How is your sub connected? Is it via a sub lead (i.e. a single cable) or as part of the front speakers? Also, at what level are your crossovers set?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, speakers set to "small" on the AVR? Have you also set the crossover on the sub to 60 then set the low pass filter to "out"?

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Setting the crossover at 60 automatically classifies the speakers as small. On the subwoofer itself there is a switch which you can set to in or out. If its on out you must set the crossover on the sub also but I set mine to in and with this setting the subwoofer crossover is controlled from the receiver. The receiver determines what the cut off frequency for the sub is. When this option is selected the subwoofer setting dial becomes inactive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts