subwoofer stand

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Based on the latest What Hi-Fi Awards 2008 recommendations I am going to treat myself the the B&W 685 theatre speaker package. However, I live in a flat and have to consider the neighbours living below me. I realise that the floor is the best place to site a subwoofer but until I move, I may need to think about raising the sub off the floor. Does anyone know of a company that makes stands for subs. I could, if pushed I could use a pile of books, bricks ,tables or my kids to put it on but would prefer something a little more appealling. Can anyone help? Waiting in anticipation.

Paul

A

Anonymous

Andrew,

Hi. Thanks for the information. This is exactly the type of thing that I am after. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and thank you for your speedy reply.

cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, spikes will tend to couple better, thus giving more transmission. The OP specifically wanted something to decouple the subwoofer, reducing sound transmission to the neighbours.

A

Anonymous

What effect do you get from decoupling the sub from the floor?

Less noise for the neighbours seems like a no-brainer so there must be a down-side? I am interested as I live in a first floor flat.

Cheers,

Leeÿ

daveyyoung

Nov 25, 2004
Visit site
jazzead, Great forum post. I live in the top floor in a set of flat but feel for my neighbours, especially as I'm just about to purchase Kef KHT3005SE's, with that rather large sub.

Andrew, I was just about to purchase your recommendation when I found the Auralex SubDude as below...

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_subdude/subdude.asp

with this product being designed for Subs, and the GRAMMA being aimed at Speakers/Amps would you be able to cast your opinion on which one would suite us best?

Our neighbours would be very appreciative, as would I!

Thanks,

Dave

daveyyoung

Nov 25, 2004
Visit site
Thanks Andrew,

Good point about the dimensions. Its tight (15" vs 17" for the speakers), will wait till they are delivered to ensure it is adequate. The Subdudes styling is a lot nice than the GRAMMA, hence the preference.

Thanks again for the speedy response.

Dave

A

Anonymous

Surely you could use a granite plinth instead?

This decouples speakers on stands [or floorstanding] from the room, so I would expect it does the same with a sub.

Can get them from your local garden centre around £15 each - granite paving slabs is what I use.

A

Anonymous

I live in a 1st floor flat and I bought an Auralex Gramma for my guitar amp. I then tried it under my sub - REL Strata II - and was hugely impressed with a marked increase in the quality of the bass and the increased extension e.g. I played the Matrix bluray (2nd movie) where a freeway chase ensues, and I can now hear a low electronic bass beneath the dialogue

I read about the company's products and reviews; the company make a Great Gramma for larger guitar amps and the Subdude is really the same design and construction/materials but 'tarted' up a bit more for domestic use in homes underneath a subwoofer.

My entire speaker set up are now all on Grammas and the improvements have been a revelation. Unfortunately the neighbours aren't much better off because I tend to turn the system up so I can admire Knowing's plane crash as though it really does happen just outside my window!

P.S. I have tried marble platforms and flagstones, which did very little in my flat.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Will something like this stop my sub-woofer travelling through a party wall to my next door neighbour, I have B&W PV1 and as soon as I put Bolt on ( I know its a cartoon) my neighbours start to complain that I am shaking their walls.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It won't stop it, but it will help prevent it. I use the Auralex Gramma pad as well and whereas before I could feel the bass rumbling through the floor and into the sofa, I now only feel this when I have it turned up really loud!

A

Anonymous

if you have a downward firing sub - do these still work without affecting the sound?

A

Anonymous

would be good to see WHF do a feature on how people in flats can have big sound which doesn't annoy the neighbours. I have PL300AV set up and i always keep volume lower.

A

Anonymous

My REL Strata II is a downward firing sub; see my previous post for improvements.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts