Question Subwoofer recommendations please

arahknxs

Nov 7, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking for some advice please.

Current setup:

PC -> SPDIF cable -> Onkyo TX-SR333 -> 2x Q Accoustics 2020i

I bought the speakers with the intention of adding a sub later on down the line and never got around to it.

Plot twist: I'm in New Zealand the market for hifi gear is a bit rubbish.

scene

I'm looking for some advice please.

Current setup:

PC -> SPDIF cable -> Onkyo TX-SR333 -> 2x Q Accoustics 2020i

I bought the speakers with the intention of adding a sub later on down the line and never got around to it.

Plot twist: I'm in New Zealand the market for hifi gear is a bit rubbish.
Q-Acoustics do subs, and I know their 3070S was/is a cracking sub and can be picked up for around £320 in the UK (Sorry - no idea of availability in NZ), though the 2070Si might match the 2020i better, and I've seen that on Amazon, so may well be available in your neck of the woods.

And then there's the new one that WHF has given five stars the QB12 that's available from November, and that's about £500.

I looked at getting a q-acoustics sub to go with my KEF 2005.2 system, to replace the original KHT sub and was impressed with the models then (this was a few years ago I admit) - only I went a slightly different route and didn't purchase one.

scene

Q-Acoustics do subs, and I know their 3070S was/is a cracking sub and can be picked up for around £320 in the UK (Sorry - no idea of availability in NZ), though the 2070Si might match the 2020i better, and I've seen that on Amazon, so may well be available in your neck of the woods.

And then there's the new one that WHF has given five stars the QB12 that's available from November, and that's about £500.

I looked at getting a q-acoustics sub to go with my KEF 2005.2 system, to replace the original KHT sub and was impressed with the models then (this was a few years ago I admit) - only I went a slightly different route and didn't purchase one.

Actually - just had a quick look: the 3060S is available on Amazon for about £230-290 (depending on colour!) here in the UK. And I've seen the 3070S at £230 as well (on Amazon) - so you should be able to get these in NZ.

arahknxs

Nov 7, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Given the cost of my amp and speakers what sort of price do you think I should pay for a sub? The ones you've recommended look great but are at the upper end of my initial expected price range.

scene

Thanks for the advice. Given the cost of my amp and speakers what sort of price do you think I should pay for a sub? The ones you've recommended look great but are at the upper end of my initial expected price range.
My bad, should have asked what your budget was...

I was basing things on an assumption that you had a £259ish amp and £200 speakers and the Q2070Si is probably a really good match for the Q2020i and new that's £199. Obviously, can't tell you what the NZ price is...

Given your location, something like a Polk might be available at a good price, say a PSW10, which is a good budget sub. (Note, it's not magnetically shielded, so it can't be put to near a screen.) It's not good in a large room, but given you've got q2020i, I guess your room size probably an issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts