Question SUBWOOFER OUT jack attenuates signals over 90 Hz

itsrajmail

May 19, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
I want to add subwoofer for my Yamaha AS501 Integrated amplifier.
When I gone through the manual, it says "The SUBWOOFER OUT jack attenuates signals over 90 Hz"
What does that mean? Can I go ahead and purchase Yamaha subwoofer (Yamaha NS SW200)?

Can you pls help me to understand why it filter out more than 90Hz frequency. Will it impact the Bass experience???

Gray

Hi,
I want to add subwoofer for my Yamaha AS501 Integrated amplifier.
When I gone through the manual, it says "The SUBWOOFER OUT jack attenuates signals over 90 Hz"
What does that mean? Can I go ahead and purchase Yamaha subwoofer (Yamaha NS SW200)?

Can you pls help me to understand why it filter out more than 90Hz frequency. Will it impact the Bass experience???
The subwoofer only needs the lowest frequencies to be sent to it.
That's what the filtered output gives it (by attenuating all the higher frequencies - which will still be handled by your main speakers).
No problem.

Last edited:

itsrajmail

May 19, 2020
Visit site
The subwoofer only needs the lowest frequencies to be sent to it.
That's what the filtered output gives it (by attenuating all the higher frequencies - which will still be handled by your main speakers).
No problem.

Thanks Gray. My floor standing speaker crossover frequency is 600Hz to 3.5Khz and my subwoofer output is not more than 90hz. Am I missing the frequency between 100Hz and 600Hz?

abacus

The speaker spec means your bass speaker rolls off above 600Hz, your midrange speaker rolls off below 600Hz and above 3.5 KHz and your tweeter rolls off below 3.5 KHz, so no, you will not lose anything, however you will probably find that 90Hz is too high for floor standers and will need to be lowered. (There is usually a knob on the back of the sub for this)

Bill

Reactions: itsrajmail

Gray

Thanks Gray. My floor standing speaker crossover frequency is 600Hz to 3.5Khz and my subwoofer output is not more than 90hz. Am I missing the frequency between 100Hz and 600Hz?
No, as Bill says, you will not be losing anything.
You want your subwoofer to be enhancing the bass - by covering the frequencies that your main speakers don't (without overlapping the frequencies that they do).
The frequency control allows you to avoid undue overlap. It's the rear control marked 'high cut'.
If you buy it, try setting it up like this:
Start with front vol control around half way.
And high cut fully anti-clockwise.
Play some music (with bass in it!).
Slowly turn high cut clockwise until you get your desired bass enhancement.
Use the vol control to ensure you're not overpowering your main speakers. Once set, you shouldn't need to touch those sub controls.
Good luck (to you and your neighbours).

Last edited:
Reactions: itsrajmail

itsrajmail

May 19, 2020
Visit site
The speaker spec means your bass speaker rolls off above 600Hz, your midrange speaker rolls off below 600Hz and above 3.5 KHz and your tweeter rolls off below 3.5 KHz, so no, you will not lose anything, however you will probably find that 90Hz is too high for floor standers and will need to be lowered. (There is usually a knob on the back of the sub for this)

Bill

Thanks Bill. This helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts