Subwoofer on wooden floor in a top floor flat!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just setup my old Sony surround system up and it sounds great, it's been out of action for a while. I think it's an HTK-25. It has a subwoofer which I have placed on our wooden floor but I'm slightly worried about annoying the neighbours in the flat downstairs. Is there. Anything I can place under it that's a nice and cheap solution to stop the bass passing through the floor. I was thinking of a price of carpet or to sit it on 4 wine corks!? A bit crazy I know but I'm sure it would help

Any suggestions much appreciated!!

A

Anonymous

I'm not there right now but I'm pretty sure it has rubber feet...or it's just the main plastic casing touching the floor.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=uk&client=safari&tab=wi&q=sony%20ht%20k25&sa=N&biw=320&bih=416#i=1

michael hoy

Mine has spiked feet (for carpet etc) but also came with rubber covers for the feet.

I have the rubber feet on the sub and this is sat on a granite chopping board, this does isolate it from my wooden floor.

I do have carpet on the floor but the sound did resonate through the wooden floor before using the chopping board.

If you click on AV System in my signature and go to the last picture you can see the sub.

pmarb

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
you could try 200mm of the dense packing polystyrene under your sub - a cheap isolator - has to be the dense type though not the usual lightweight packing stuff

A

Anonymous

200 mm? Isn't that 20cms?? That's pretty thick! I thought of getting some packing material....but if it'll do the same job I think the granite slate will look better...and it's in sale ATM in Argos for 7.99. I've read somewhere to pop some blue tack inbetween the subwoofer and the granite too. Thanks for everyone's help. Any other suggestions would be great!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
scottyjaxx said:
... I'm slightly worried about annoying the neighbours in the flat downstairs.

Could you arrange - with the downstairs neighbour - to test your system, set on it's typical volume, and find out if it bothers them?

You may not need any isolation measures if they are ok about it.

Can you hear them (TV, stereo, conversation etc.) when your flat is quiet?

If so, you can bet they hear your system (and i'm not sure that a granite slab or spikes/rubber feet/Blu-tack will make a lot of difference).

The fact that you are considering their possible discomfort from your system - and consulting them on the matter before problems arise - will be appreciated.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Used to live on top-floor of a Victorian house - ie, suspended wooden floors - with carpet and regular underlay. No soundproofing in void.

Sub had spikes and sat on a 2in-thick MDF slab (painted to match room's skirting etc).

Asked downstairs neighbour to let me know if 5.1 setup was ever intrusive.

He never complained re 5.1, but occasionally moaned about "heavy footsteps".

Guess the 2in-thick MDF was effective?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts