Subwoofer neutrik cable

vonchief

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
I have a spare length of chord rumour 4 cable and was going to make it into a sub cable for the high level connection.

This is for a BK sub and the original cable has three wires, i was just going to use three of the wires of the chord cable.

Trouble is, on closer inspection of the original cable there seems to be only two continuous cables and the third is a small length at each end connecred to the braid of the outer cable. Will this arrangement cause any problems ?

I know there are many who will say this is a waste of time changing the cable but as i have the cable already I thought it would do no harm in trying it. Unless having three totaly separate wires will do any damage.

Any advise greatly received.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
The 3 separate wires will work in the same way as the 2 wires plus braid.My guess is that the braid is used as the negative, and the 2 wires are used for the left + and right +.

I made my own cable for a Rel sub before in the same way you are planning on doing.

I also bought a cable which was a 4 core shielded(braided) Beldon cable. 2 of the cores were used for the negative, and 2 for the positive. The braid was purely for shielding from interference.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
One thing to think about though is the braid acting as a shield from RFI etc.

The new cable you make will be far better quality, but may suffer from lack of shielding. I believe the shielding on the Beldon cable helped the Rel subs performance greatly.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Worth a go if you have spare cable. And you could always buy a new neutrik connector from maplin or somewhere for only a couple of pounds. That way you can keep the BK cable in tact.

You could also see if they sell shielded Beldon cable while your there

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts