Subwoofer for £500 or less

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:Won't it be false economy to spend that money now on a non-optimal sub, rather than save a while longer and get the AVI sub?

Not sure about 'sub-optimal' but I used a Ruark Vita 50 to great effect with the ADM's.

A

Anonymous

Chebby you have a good point! but I don't think my wife will let me, just thought i'd ask to find out what others are using/would recomend for less than the Avi's £800.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
keep an eye out for a used Rel Strata 5 or Storm 5.

I replaced my Rel Q201e a while back with the strata 5 and the difference is amazing. The downward firing driver of the Strata 5 is much better for music as you can't hear where the sub is coming from and it is also very fast. Fast enough to keep up with my ATC scm19's.

For movied you could find a louder sub no problem but for music its hard to beat.
You could also try an Mj acoustics, they are supposed to be very musical also.

A

Anonymous

The REL subs are superb with music, you can pick up some good deals on second hand rel subs on flea bay, i managed to get a mint condition REL R-305 in piano black for £285 plus postage, Considering thats a £800 sub when new its an absolute bargain.

A

Anonymous

There's an M&K V-125 Sub on flea bay at the moment, not sure how this would stack up against those suggested by david, but its more expensive new than both......

A

Anonymous

Hi all the BK Monalith DF sounds like a good choice? But the Avi's only have a single sub out connection.I have sent them an email so will speak to them to check.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Nick21:Hi all the BK Monalith DF sounds like a good choice? But the Avi's only have a single sub out connection.I have sent them an email so will speak to them to check.

Do you realise how big the Monolith is? Might be a shock for you or more likely your wife!

A

Anonymous

If you don't mind going down the used route, I'd seek out a Sunfire HRS-10 or HRS-12 - One of the best 'bang for your buck Sub's' money can buy. :)

A

Anonymous

The-force I can't see any sunfire subs on ebay,only the 8 i think.

A

Anonymous

Hi there - hope this isn't out of order and don't wish to butt in on the thread, but I was just about (in fact half way through the form!) to place my ADM 9 Subwoofer on eBay!! I came across your post as I was looking for any more specs or reviews I could mention in the advert! My name is Tim and I am active on both the computeraudiophile.com and the ADM 9's Facebook group - I have a 9 sub that really hasn't got much use since I bought it about a year ago I think now, my room really didn't need it and now I have moved I am sandwiched in a block of flats and just dare not switch it on!! :)

It's an amazing beast this sub, totally open ended extension but a little on the large size for me and like I say it's now pretty much redundant. Was going to mothball and unwrap in a couple of years when I move but really someone else should have the fun shouldn't they. I have a pic in situ at my old place here http://www.flickr.com/photos/crispysalad/3353538610/ - you can email me from that flickr account if you like. Just to let you know the ADM 9 sub is used inverted phase with the ADM 9.1's other than that it the same as the 9.1 version so I am told.

Sorry if this is not allowed guys, only Nick didn't have a PM on his profile!! Don't flame me :)

Tim.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Tim my phone number is 01234 740032 I would be glad to hear from you. Nick

A

Anonymous

Drummerman I sent Ash an email he had non only new! He was also very bullish about it, and a bit dismisive of cheaper/lighter subs(Avi's is 31kg). I think unless Tim from earlier in this thread contacts me I will buy another brand for shure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts