Subwoofer dilemma.. Epos ELS or BK Gemini ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Anyone here got any experience with the following two subwoofers:

1. BK Gemini

2. Epos ELS

Both are roughly the same price and will be used in a hi-fi setup

Which one to go for ?

A

Anonymous

That will be a bit difficult as both can only be ordered online so there is nowhere local where I can demo the Epos

Has anyone got either of these and which is the one to go for ?

I like the look and size of the Gemini but the Epos has more power and a larger driver

The Epos is claimed to go down to 20Hz but I don't know if that is at -3db or -6db

BK do not say how low their Gemini goes on the spec sheet but I managed to contact them and they said it will go down to 25Hz at

-3db

So no chance of a demo and I will just have to take the plunge depending on the reply here

A

Anonymous

Well, I used to have the ELS, and I was very happy with it. Only got rid of it because the M came along at too tempting a price. The ELS is good with music, but no room shaker - not a problem though if you're using it in a hi - fi set up. Build wise, it is decent value at it's current retail price. You probably be less amused if you paid the full original RRP.

Never heard the BK, although it certainly looks the part. Good luck.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Genghis:
... I like the look and size of the Gemini but the Epos has more power and a larger driver

Can't comment on the Epos but often with cheaper subs larger drivers can equate to slower response. My sub was cheap but it uses a small'ish good quality driver in a well designed, sturdy and sealed cabinet. I found it to be better with music than some well known and much more expensive brands which sound sluggish and under damped in comparison. Depends what you want, with subs there's no substitute for size and power if shaking a room is the aim but for me it should just solidify and underpin without being obvious. Downside is it can be bettered for HT. Sub is the original Pro50 in Ruark Vita form. I've used it with every kind of speaker, small monitors and floor standers, always with good results.

Try before you buy.

A

Anonymous

How much better is the M compared to the ELS ?

It seems to have the same spec but with a wood veneer finish and a down firing driver as opposed to a front firing one

The power and driver size etc is the same as the ELS and Epos don't mention any specific internal improvements over the ELS

What would you say is better about the M sound wise compared to the ELS ?

Here are the spec differences of the ELS and Gemini:

ELS: 10" forward firing driver, 300w power, 20kg weight, 25mm MDF construction and seperately sealed amp in cabinet, 20Hz low frequency but don't know if at -3 or -6db, 75mm voice coil

Gemini: 8" down firing driver, 150w power, 12.5kg weight, 18mm MDF construction and 25Hz low frequency at -3db, 50mm voice coil

Any thoughts based on the specs ?

A

Anonymous

Genghis,

I have been looking into a sub for my DM37 + LEKTOR setup too! Currently looking at the Wharfedale Diamond SW150 alongwith the ELS and Gemini as all are around the same price.

Have you chosen one yet or had the opportunity to audition?

Cheers Dude

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
I have had and ELS for around a month now. Previously was using the KEF PSW 2010 from my old 'eggs' setup. Have to say it's fantastic. The bass is smooth, fast and will shake the house when required. Main difference for me is that I don't actually notice it coming to life, which is credit to how it integartes with the rest of my speakers. my old sub almost leapt of the floor to tell you it was sending out noise.

Personally, i'm not a fan of slamming bass. I like it to take over at the bottom end of my standard speakers and extend their response. The EPOS does this very well.

Have not heard the BK, but for my own preferences, I have no desire to change again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts