Subwoofer cables

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been looking at starting to upgrade my cables and my first stop is my rather weak and old sub cable (QED micro) but WHF don't reveiw sub cables which i find strange as there is such a large ammount of other cables reviewed in the magazine every month so my question is can anyone recommend a decent cable to upgrade too please.

As you can see from my kit i'm certainly not in a position to upgrade to top end cables but anything under the £100 mark would be considered and all suggestions gratefully received.

Also can anyone tell me why WHF doesn't review sub cables? Just seems strange when so many people must have a sub in their setup...

Many thanks!

A

Anonymous

Hi Oldboy,

I have just replaced my Chord Crimson 5m Sub cable which cost £35 pound with a quality Mark Grant cable which cost only £30 due to the rave reviews it has recieved. It is an excellent cable, very well made and the output is great!

A

Anonymous

I got one from Thatcable.com and one audio quest from a pro installer.

thatcable was 10.00 and audioquest is worth about 50.00, I cant hear a difference.

A

Anonymous

You don't need to spend £100, go with the chord crimson, and it will be more than enough, so don't worry.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
and get the shortest one possible - cables that are perfectly good at 1-2 m lengths can pick up interference / hum over longer distances. I had to return the first 10m cable I bought. Second one was fine, tho.

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
That Cables stuff looks well made and good value. Save your money over an overpriced 'branded' cable and put it towards something that will actually make a difference.

I've never noticed any problems with the cheap 7.5m cable i'm using that's trunked next to my HDMI and speaker cables. You probably want to avoid running it alongside mains cables as that's the one place you might pick up some interference from on a low level signal at that sort of length.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks to all that replied!

So would i be right in assuming then that a sub cable, as it only deals with the LFE channel, does not require a high quality cable? I can see the value in spending extra on a HDMI lead for example as it carries both video and sound but on a sub cable i'm not convinced.....the only reason i am upgrading my old cable is due to length of cable as i want to move my sub and i'm not entirely happy with my current (TINY) cable. Think i will look at all your suggestions and order one over the weekend.

Thank you for all the advice and for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
See other comments on this forum for views on HDMI cables - it's not worth starting the same discussion again. I'd say that all cables need to be 'good enough'. That doesn't mean branded, blessed with holy water, or any other woo but rather that they make good reliable connections and transmit the signal without interference. Long, low level, analogue cables can pick up noise so the screening becomes more important than on a short cable. However, on a sub signal it's not that likely that you'd notice it. I used to run a cheap 5m phono cable from my TV to my amp and it was fine but back when I was DJing we'd occasionally find Radio4 appearing unbidden at our mixer with long ca

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts