Subwoofer cable for the APEX subwoofer (AW12)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please advice a decent Subwoofer cable for my APEX subwoofer.

For the moment I am between these: Chord Company CrimsonPlus and Qed Performance Subwoofer Cable.

In case you can propose a different one please do so.....

A

Anonymous

I'm sure either would be fine - although I don't "get" high end digital audio cables, I have noticed minor differences from one analogue RCA to another when used from a CD player to an amp

BUT - I've never noticed a difference cable to cable from my av amp to my sub - and my subwoofer is not exactly low end (SVS PC-Ultra 13) - so I'd get whichever is cheapest, better built or the colour you want running across your floor :)

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I have tried a few sub cables, the chord crimson is a nice full sounding bass, however i use an audioquest I think they call it sub- x cable. It has some silver in the cable, it had a slighly more tighter faster and punchier bass, but I liked the chord as well it probably went slightly deeper and and a bit fuller but not as tight and fast as the audioquest.

Cheers

Steve

A

Anonymous

Just picked up a belkin pure av silver series 4.6m sub cable off ebay for 7.50 delivered its driving my radience sub fine, i cannot tell the difference between this and the QED cable costing over £30 on my other sub.

Cheers

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Buckshar:
I'm sure either would be fine - although I don't "get" high end digital audio cables, I have noticed minor differences from one analogue RCA to another when used from a CD player to an amp

BUT - I've never noticed a difference cable to cable from my av amp to my sub - and my subwoofer is not exactly low end (SVS PC-Ultra 13) - so I'd get whichever is cheapest, better built or the colour you want running across your floor :)

Er, a subwoofer cable is not a digital cable?

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Buckshar:

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the LFE signal from receiver to a powered sub IS analogue??

A

Anonymous

my original post wasn't written exactly well - it was a saturday morning

but what I meant was that:

digital interconnects - I've never noticed a difference in SQ

analogue interconnects (between CD and amp, amp and pre-amp) have noticed a difference

analogue interconnect - mono to subwoofer - never noticed a difference from one cable to another

I think mainly as the subwoofer signal is limited in frequency - ie in general 80hz and below, and that area of the signal range we are less sensitive to small differences in sound.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
stephennic:
Hi,

I have tried a few sub cables, the chord crimson is a nice full sounding bass, however i use an audioquest I think they call it sub- x cable. It has some silver in the cable, it had a slighly more tighter faster and punchier bass, but I liked the chord as well it probably went slightly deeper and and a bit fuller but not as tight and fast as the audioquest.

Cheers

Steve

I agree. I replaced the QED (an excellent cable in it's own right) with the Audioquest and they are great.

A

Anonymous

its worth considering Mark Grant cables as well - I've bought quite a few in the past and always found them extremely well made - always use high quality cables and connectors, I've bought years ago several sets of phono to phono, and customer mono phono to dual phono and they were all superb

the subwoofer cable is made from Canare LV77S - which is extremely good quality - and specifically picked for its screening and performance for subwoofer signal usage :)

I'm probably going to order one - as not much more expensive than bog standard cable, in my case for neatness than specifically for SQ - as at the moment I'm jusing a phono-phono join ! which is not ideal (3m cable-join-1m cable) as I a few months back moved my sub

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_4&products_id=6

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Profigold oxypure subwoofer cable

It uses OCC copper which means it has no grain structure and would be far better than any listed so far

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
c_avraamides:
Please advice a decent Subwoofer cable for my APEX subwoofer.

For the moment I am between these: Chord Company CrimsonPlus and Qed Performance Subwoofer Cable.

In case you can propose a different one please do so.....

Chord Crimson plus is a fine decent subwoofer cable and not extravagantly expensive. My dog loved it to when he chewed it up
emotion-14.gif
. but it gave me the excuse i needed to buy a Cobra 3 instead
emotion-2.gif
Not sure what it is about chord products but no other cables i've brought make me want to buy more like chord do. Maybe it's just me but buying a chord product is up there with buying the hardware.
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:

It uses OCC copper which means it has no grain structure and would be far better than any listed so far

whats more important the construction of the copper or the shielding around it ? I'm guessing the latter ?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Buckshar:aliEnRIK:

whats more important the construction of the copper or the shielding around it ? I'm guessing the latter ?

The shielding on the profigold is fine. And my personal opinion is the core is more important

A

Anonymous

I also found a supra sub cable which is a stereo Y-link sub woofer cable (1RCA- 2RCA).

Is it better to use a Y-link sub woofer cable for the APEX AW12 or use a standard mono sub woofer cable 1RCA-1RCA?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts