Subtle improvements cost nothing . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Things have becom a little hectic recently. What with home issues and computers going 'caput'! The hifi thing has been very much in the background, all listening has been via Spotify . . .

Withdrawal symptoms . . . :wall: I was having a tidy up the other night and came across a set of 'wooden inverted cones' I had fashoned a few weeks ago but never got round to trying . . . The dust has settled a bit, so, thought I'd treat myself to some vinyle. Very nice, so whilst at it, I took the trouble to install the 'new' set of 3 wood cones. They suport the brocken bell isolation board on which the TT sits, replacing the previous metal spike set.

Whilst I have not done extensive listening, there is a destinct inprovement in detail reteval, little bits in the background that one was not previously aware of. Considering I made them from disgarded and scrap items from the 'might be usefull one day bits box', a piece of 25mm thick mahogany cut into 30mm squares, drill and tap a centeral 6mm hole, screw in a dumpy speaker type spike and lock nut. The improvements are subtle . . . considering the minimum effort and zero cost, a worth while change.

The other advantage was being able to level the TT perfectly with a Mitchell round spirit level, it was fairly good befor but now the bubble is slap bang in the middle rather than 'that will have to do'!

CJSF

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Probably the best upgrade any TT can have is to get it level, good on yer, you cant beat the sound of valves, i had a croft micro pre amp, wonderful phono stage in that, big regret selling it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts