Sub-woofer levels

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I have just set up all my speaker levels using a sound level meter and am having trouble with my sub (B&W PV1), as per the manual I set the volume to the 12 o'clock position on the sub, but when I ran the test tone the meter reading was only about 60 dbl, so I used the level setting in in my amp to increase it to 75 dbl. I watched a film last night and my room literally shook the first time the sub kicked in and was way to powerful and just noise rather then integrating with everything else (if that makes sense) the next minute my neighbour was round, as it was shaking pictures on his wall and the sub is about 7 metres away from our joing wall ! What am I doing wrong ?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The PV1 is a very powerful sub and if its in the corner or a place that has surrounding walls close to it then you will get the boom effect.

Where is the Sub positioned? Also remember its very difficult to get an accurate reading of a sub using a sound meter?

I would agree with David having experienced this with my own sub. Its not an exact science with setting up the systems, if your PV1 sounds better at 60db and intergrates well then stick to it!

A

Anonymous

I had the same problem with my MA sub, in that my sound level meter only hit 75dB with the sub right up and way too loud.

The auto set up on mine (Audyssey), however, left the sub at a too lower level to my ears. My best method was to pick a section of movie that really tests the sub (i.e. LOTR Mines of Moria) and raise the output for the sub until I had the right amount of impact to my ears, yet raising it too high would be too over-powering - just a matter of playing around and getting the level right that sounds good for you (and without upsetting the neighbours!).

Paul.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses, my amp is the Denon 1910, I didn't bother running the auto set-up I did it manually, I might try the auto set-up to see if that makes a difference and unfortunately due to room restrictions it is in a corner.

Is it best to to adjust the volume on the sub itself, or leave the volume control in the 12 o'clock position and then adjust it through the amp to get the right level that isn't too boomy and annoying to the neighbours

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The corner will be the best place for that sub as it will most likely need a room boost to give you the lower bass notes - as all sealed box subs do.

The negative effect of this can be room modes which are caused by the bass notes bouncing backward and forward along a wall thats the exact same size as the sound wave created. This when you hear boom and growling and when the bass is directional and its difficult to stop it without room treatment or moving the sub or listening position.

A peak like this in the bass will completely mask the proper bass notes you should be hearing.

Hence why the new PV1 has dsp built in so that you can eq / tech out these peaks to a certain degree.

You can buy which is if you ask me an essential piece of kit called a DSPeaker Antimode that works on all subs - its amazing and helps to get you a flatter bass curve in your listening position. This is something like what B&W have incorporated in the new PV1, but It wil be cheaper to buy this than sell you old and buy new if that makes sense.

It also helps to reduce the decay times of your bass - to give you tighter and faster bass.

So maybe you are having to run your sub light i.e. 60db because you are getting big peaks in your bass at certain frequencies where you sit because of what I just mentined.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You can buy which is if you ask me an essential piece of kit called a DSPeaker Antimode that works on all subs - its amazing and helps to get you a flatter bass curve in your listening position. This is something like what B&W have incorporated in the new PV1, but It wil be cheaper to buy this than sell you old and buy new if that makes sense.

It also helps to reduce the decay times of your bass - to give you tighter and faster bass.

+1 for the DSPeaker Antimode - I only have a cheapish KEF subwoofer, in a corner, and adding the antimode made a huge difference. We could now hear pleasant, defined bass notes, rather than boomy mush.

One of the most cost-effective additions to my kit.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I will have a look into the DSPeaker Antimode, thanks for the info.

Just been to there website and they have 2 models the 8033C €230 and 8033S €307, which one do I go for ?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I would adjust the settings at your amp

Always use the adage that your ears ultimately are the final test, and if it sounds good to you then it is!!

Lots of interesting set up testing to be done and suddenly you will know exactly when it is right, go back to the low level you had and use 0.5dB incremental settings to get to where you want...................just don't be in a hurry, you can always adjust up or down as you see fit as you go forward, no rush

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts