Sub-woofer Hi Level connections - on centre channel

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I have a query regarding sub setup, when connecting both LFE/sub-out/.1 and Hi Level/speaker connections. I’ve been reading up on this and I'm pretty clued up.

I'm planning on using a home cinema amp for both music and movies, probably the Onkyo 609, with my MJ Acoustics Pro 50 mk2.

So, I'm sorted with how to connect and set it up, and understand how each is used etc, and that the bass won’t be doubled due to the settings.

But, most people/forums/connection guides suggest connecting the Hi Level speaker connections from your centre speaker terminals to your sub for music, running in a stereo “pure” mode. As the centre receives a good amount of bass, and is central, it is ideal. BUT, isn’t the centre channel turned off in “Pure” mode? Even if you can turn it on in Pure mode, wouldn’t you really want it off? When listening to music, I’d want my centre speaker off, right?

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Just looked at the Onkyo 609 PDF, and it says that the speaker layout for Pure, Direct and can be: 2.1, 3.1, 5.1 or 7.1. Yet it states stero is: "Sound is output from the front left and right speakers and subwoofer.".

i was pretty sure that pure would put nothing through the sub-out port?

as for the above speaker layouts, is this simply stating that each settign can be used with 2.1 or 3.1 or 5.1..... speakers connected?

gettign more confused, rather than clear! :help:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Yes, if you're listening to a stereo source and not doing any additional processing in the amp (ie multi-channel stereo or Pro-logic or whatever) then the centre won't receive a signal, so I presume people are suggesting that in order to stop the sub being active when listening to music (the LFE channel also won't deliver a signal via the low-level input when listening to a stereo signal) as they only want their front speakers to be active for music.

If you want the sub to be active then you'd need it connected to the Front speakers, I think the MJ will have the 3 core Neutrik cable that attaches to the positive connectors for both front speakers and the negative to one of them, so you'll need to do that instead if you want to use the sub for music as well.

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi The_Lhc.

thanks for the reply.

the idea was to be able to use the sub in pure more, when just listening with my 2 floor standers; stereo. so, yes, my thought exactly, that i'd need to connect the Neutrik cable to a "front" speaker terminal. I think i'm right, that you can only connect to one set of speaker terminals (front left or front right or centre), you can't connect to both the front Left AND Right.

or, i only use the sub for .1/sub-out films, and with the 5.1 processor working. and listen to HiFi/stereo with my floorstanders? just want to get everything out of all my kit, including the sub.

scene

+1 on what the_Lhc said. Only caveat is that some amps get a bit funny about taking the tap off the front pair and you can sometimes can only use 1 channel. Also some Class D digital amps don't support taking a tap of the front channels, without an isolator.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
timbo999 said:
the idea was to be able to use the sub in pure more, when just listening with my 2 floor standers; stereo. so, yes, my thought exactly, that i'd need to connect the Neutrik cable to a "front" speaker terminal. I think i'm right, that you can only connect to one set of speaker terminals (front left or front right or centre), you can't connect to both the front Left AND Right.

Well, the cable is designed to allow a connection to both left and right but you'd best check what Scene mentions.

or, i only use the sub for .1/sub-out films, and with the 5.1 processor working. and listen to HiFi/stereo with my floorstanders? just want to get everything out of all my kit, including the sub.

It'll depend very much on which floorstanders they are and how much bass they produce with music, try both and see which you prefer, you might find the bass excessive with music when using the sub and prefer it without, you never know.

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello again.

Sorry about the confusion about connecting the MJ acoustics hi level cable. I was having a case of not being able to see the woods for the trees! I was being a bit thick!

I'll certainly be trying both types of connection. All good fun.

Thanks for the tips, I'm sorted now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts