Sub Woof Placement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well, a very productive day - I did my final audition of a Yamaha 1067 and although it has a little more clarity than an Onkyo 609, I found it (my opinion only) to be seriously lacking in cohesion (balance on the rear speakers was particularly obvious) and didn't have the full sound that the Onkyo possess. I've walked out having ordered a B&W MT-25, the Onkyo and all the relevant cabling and with network plugs and the Panny blu ray player arriving on Monday I'm all spent up - at least for one weekend!! So now I've got a few painstaking weeks to wait whilst the gear arrives - What are people's thoughts on sub placement? I've measured enough cabling to have it tucked away to the side of our sofa near the rear left speaker. Will position affect the optomisation? Sales guy didn't think it'd make a difference but eager to gauge a rounded view.

A

Anonymous

Ok, please enlighten and educate! Rear left next to a sofa ok or better to have it in the traditional front to the right or left of the screen?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Only one answer MrMagoo, try it in different locations and decide.

I've tried mine in three places...

1. To the right of the right front speaker, facing me. Here it was best.

2. To the immediate left of my listening position, ie. I could put a beer on it it my left hand, firing into the room. Probably worst here as it was too close.

3. Where is it now (mainly for wife-pleasing reasons), to the right of the main sofa, but a few feet away under a coffee table. It's a bit compromised here but it's not a very good sub when all said and done.

Placement may not be critical but it certainly DOES make a difference.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Bass coming from a sub is much less directional than from a pair of speakers, which gives a certain flexibility over positioning...it can even be behind you.

The way it sounds is another matter. Place in a corner for the most bass reinforcement (though this can get boomy); near a solid wall gives the next level of bass support....as said above, trial and error is the key. As you move it about the room (ie to sides or back), alter the phase setting to see if the sound improves - again trial and error.

If the sub is placed on a suspended wooden floor, it's advisable to isolate it using something like an Auralex Gramma.

IMO An after market mains cable (eg. Clearer Audio Copperline Alpha+) makes a worthwhile improvement.

Cno

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi pls search in google "crawling for bass"
really interesting read, once read you wont need any clarification on were to place Sub

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi pls search in google "crawling for bass"
really interesting read, once read you wont need any clarification on were to place Sub

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies folks - guess I've got some crawling around and placement testing to do. Good job I ordered a cable that'll go anywhere in the room in terms of length.

A

Anonymous

Some great assistance from the posters, I just found that all though there are perfect positions, especially after doing the crawl, it would be more than likely it wont be in a very room/other half friendly position. I would suggest you but it where it suits best and then tweek the settings to get your best balance, remember a subwoofer bass should underpin the soundtrack, nt take over. Also being an exRXV1067 owner, I'm sure this AVR could sound better than a 609, the dealer could have not set it up properly!

A

Anonymous

Markjaspi, great ideas. I'll clarify my comments on the Yamaha 1067. I think it's a reasonable possibility that it wasn't set up well though they had time before the demo to get it just right. I thought it was a good receiver and not any worse or better than the Onkyo - just a different type of sound. I think if i was looking for music and movies then I'd have made a different decision but this will purely be a movie machine. I'm not a big fan of brash bass levels though the Onkyo side by side definitely had a fuller sound whereas the Yam tended to be more refined and clearer (not on dialogue though) then leap into action during more complex scenes. The other thing that really sold it was 'silver' which is preferable to black and the 4k and general upscaling. My next project (3-4 years) will likely be 4k compatible. Bet your pioneer is a few streets ahead of this range of amps!

A

Anonymous

The pioneer is an amazing AVR, but I got lucky with a good deal.

I agree with you totally that preferences to sound is the biggest driver, and it amazes me how Onkyo manage to fit the quality of sound in the 609 (one of my dealers is near where I work so I spend many hours at lunch time just sitting and listening to different combos).

I've owned a 876, and at the time the Onkyo sound was so much more aggressive and my wife/kids got worn down very quickly. The new 9 series seem much more refined.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts