Dual Sub Suggestions.....2

sntee

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi

My current sub has developed an annoying hum when it's idling so I've been thinking about replacing it.

The Onkyo TX-NR609 it's plugged into has the ability to drive two "small, fast" subs and according to the experts this can result in better controlled bass.

My problem is that "small" and "fast" aren't necessarily words that appear in the product descriptions of most subs so I'm looking for some suggestions...

My budget is of the "shoe-string" variety (I'll probably be looking at second-hand options) and the rest of the speakers are a Mordaunt Short Genie 6.1 setup... I may be going for 7.1 before I get to 7.2 as we are redecorating at the mo and this gives me an opportunity to conceal more cabling.

Any ideas?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Two subs can be of benefit in some rooms but if you are looking to keep the budget tight I would recommend investing in the best single subwooofer you can. I would also consider 5.1 rather than 7.1 at this stage. Unless your room is large and you can place 7.1 in the correct spots I would channel the funds into getting the best 5.1 you can first. It is wise to get teh cables in now so that you can upgrade later.

I am sure before long someone will mention BK for subs, as an alternative look to some second hand Tannoy units.

sntee

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the response.

I'll hang fire on the dual subs I think. Having read up a little more, there doesn't seem to be a definitive agreement out there that it's a step up from a single sub....

As for the rest of the speakers, as I mentioned I'm already at 6.1 with a single surround back channel. The decorating will allow me to reposition the surrounds and add an extra back channel. I've looked at the placement guide on the dolby website and my new set-up will be more in line with the recommendations and should give a more expansive sound stage with a bigger sweet spot (at the moment only one listener gets the benefit....)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts