Sub speaker cable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm just about to purchase a surround system I'm looking to either buy the Q Acoustcis 2000 Cinema or the Mordaunt Short Alumni packages. The question I have is which cables should I purchase for the sub?.

Stuart

A

Anonymous

I'm not starting a cable debate, just saying what I have found.

I have used a £30+ 5m QED sub cable for the last 3 years I forget the specific model number with no problems I personally have always used QED cables throughout my system as the build quality is excellent.

However, I recently added another sub as an experiment and got hold of a cheapie 4.6m Belkin Pure AV silver series subwoofer lead off an ebay trade seller for £7.50 delivered (bargain!) and it works a treat the build quality is also excellent and soundwise I can tell no difference between the two leads on blind testing which was a real suprise to me.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Mu sub lead is a 1m length that my local dealer had lying around and charged me £1 for. For that price I couldn't be happier. I'm not going to open this particular can of worms, but I'd say whichever one is the right length...

A

Anonymous

I'm just purchasing QED XT speaker cable, so reading up on the forum and listening to peoples preferred choice it would make sense to also go with this manufacturer for the sub cable. This also gives me a positive feeling that I'm not going to feel unballanced with opting for an alternative cable company.

Cheers for the replys.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I've just done some research and bought a sub cable myself. Regardless of what people say about QED silver leads (maybe the sound is a touch bright?), they are definitely of good quality. I got this as it's a very good deal - 50% off at Audiovisualonline. QED Qunex Silver Reference SR-SW. I got 6m for £38, which although is pretty expensive, is certainly better than £80!! Incidentally, I saw that Andy Clough from WHF uses them.... or he did 3 years ago, anyway!
emotion-2.gif

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Try Chord Crimson plus 3m £27 , 5m £36. Once you've purchased a Chord cable you'll soon know if your into cables or not.
emotion-1.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I use the 'QED Performance miniature' on my sub. Small, white cable that tucks down the edge of the carpet easily. I think it was about £30 for 3 metres.

A

Anonymous

I have a REL Strata 2 subwoofer. I changed from a QED perfomance to a Wireworld Solstice 5 (similar price).

I was surprised at the improvement - better bass extension and a more musical.

I use the sub in both a 6.1 AV set up and in a separate 2-channel 'hifi' set up so I wasn't just considering how 'bombastic' it sounded during a noisy movie soundtrack; I also needed musical accuracy.

I mention this to give you an alternative manufacturer to consider and also to confirm that different cables can produce different results whether by deliberate design or serendipity.

I understand the logic of following an all QED set of cables but maybe they have an Achille's heel when it comes to bass (I'm not suggesting they do as I do not have enough evidence).

Good luck. Please post how you get on and what you think.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Davo2008:I've just done some research and bought a sub cable myself. Regardless of what people say about QED silver leads (maybe the sound is a touch bright?), they are definitely of good quality. I got this as it's a very good deal - 50% off at Audiovisualonline. QED Qunex Silver Reference SR-SW. I got 6m for £38, which although is pretty expensive, is certainly better than £80!! Incidentally, I saw that Andy Clough from WHF uses them.... or he did 3 years ago, anyway!
emotion-2.gif

How a sub woofer can sound "bright" defies belief!
emotion-18.gif

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Actually, I was more referring to the comments made about QED silver anniversary XT(which I use, by the way), rather than this subwoofer cable specifically....

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
A subwoofer might be bright to a whale?! Lol
emotion-2.gif

If 'bright' means tighter, more controlled bass - surely thats what we are all aiming for?!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
SE_30: I'm just about to purchase a surround system I'm looking to either buy the Q Acoustcis 2000 Cinema or the Mordaunt Short Alumni packages.

If your considering spending £480 on the new Q Acoustics 2000 5.1 package give the older Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package a listen first because they're available for just £250 now.

I gave them both a listen back to back and thought that the sound quality of the 1010i 5.1 package was so close to the 2000 5.1 package that I just couldn't warrant spending an extra £230 on the 2000's. www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/q-acoustics/1010i-5.1/qaco-1010i-5.1-pack

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts