Sub sounds flat in my listening spot, and moving it around has had little effect. Any tips?

ashton1

Sep 22, 2008
Visit site
I recently moved my lounge around after completing my system. I am now running a dali zensor 5 (5.1) with a BK XXLS400 Forward firing sub. I had flattish spots before with my layout but found an ok position to get my seating spot working well.

Since I have moved it all it sounds grest up by the tv, and up to 6ft back, but where I have placed my sofa for main listening spot it is pretty flat. I can feel the pressure through sofa and in my chest when it kicks off but it doesn't sound great. Move up by the tv and it feels and sounds epic. As it does in the hallway. I have tried moving it and changing the angles of placement as well. But again little effect is had.

I also moved to my seating postion and walked and crawled around the room. It also sounded better when standing up when compared to crawling about. Spots where it sounded good didn't translate into any improvement when I moved it. And places it did sound good were just not possible to locate it. Due furniture and not practice being in the middle of the room.

My room is 7metres long by 4 metres, and has a fire place on the right hand wall (when sat in listening seat) with protruding chimney breast. Not sure if this is playing a part in reducing performance. Floor is carpet.

Im somewhat confused about what I can now do. I've trawled about some sites for hints and tips butcher all suggest pretty much hat I have tried so far.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and managed to find a workable solution? Rather gutted I can't seem to find something so far that has worked.

I have added a few pics below to show my current layout. Sub does look close to walls but has 14inches clearance at the side, and 18inchs at the rear.

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried adjusting the phase of the sub since moving things around, and also checked the speakers are wired in phase?

It sounds like your sub might be out of phase, or your sub or listening position are in a null in the room.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You could well have a big bass null there maybe around your crossover thats causing this

To be honest mate you cant do this kind od testing by ear you neeed tp measure.

You soubd like you care enough to work at it and trust me i have heard the xxls400 be tighr controlled and go deep enough even though its not measured that deep.

Look up room equalization wizard - its free there are guides on how to use it to measure your bass response.

You will then see what bass your getting in your listenung spot and how moving the sub can effect your frequency response. You can then work on it from there.

Try the sub closer in to the corner 14" is a long way out

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Set your AVR so all your speakers are set to small. Set the Xover frequency to 100Hz. And your sub just a bit higher ( To allow for roll off) Then turn your subs phase control allmost to zero. Stick something on with a known good bass response. Adjust your subs volume increment by increment, until you acheive the kind of bass you are looking for. Even large speakers can be set to small, as long as all other parameters are adjusted correctly! Hope this helps mate

Cheers

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
100hz bass can be very directional -i would stick to 80 hz crossover otherwise you might create more problems for yourself

Always set the crossover the same for the sub as the speakers otherwise they won't crossover properly.

The receiver shoukd auto set your phase so i doubt its a phase issue more than likely a bass response issue in your new listening position

ashton1

Sep 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all for your input, will have a play next week when I have time to fiddle. Have moved my listening position forward for now which isn't a long term solution but has improved things for now.

Fingers crossed I can get it all sorted next week :grin:

TRENDING THREADS