Sub + small speakers vs big speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Fight on.

For a more open and bassy sound with a denon micro, would you get the wharfedale w150 to add to 9.1's or send the 9.1's back and spend £300 on some big floorstanders? (Could upgrade the denon to the marantz cr502 which would give 50w instead of 30w per channel).

Anyway, which sound like a better idea?

Go on, if you know, please tell me. :)

A

Anonymous

You might be better off with some decent floorstanders they are usualy better than bookshelves and a subwoofer depending on space issues, not sure if the denon will have enough power though for floorstanders I would see what sounds best, audition the denon with floorstanders or a subwoofer.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
On a mini system, which is going to be limited on power, you're better off adding a subwoofer as long as your Denon has a pre-out specifically for this purpose (the DM37 does). This way, the subwoofer puts no strain on the amplification.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have found that a decent sub almost always enhances things, one way or another, regardless of speaker size and quality, provided it is used correctly.

A

Anonymous

My experience also.

It can take some setting up and requires a lot of experimentation (not to mention a half decent sub in the first place) but you can get some excellent results. Floorstanders can be an option too although it leaves less flexibility for tuning the sound to the room, a rather important aspect of audio reproduction.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Agreed. As long as the sub is used subtlely, it can sound surprisingly good. I heard a REL demonstration where one of their subs was used to bolster the bottom end of a pair of little ProAc standmounts.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:On a mini system, which is going to be limited on power, you're better off adding a subwoofer as long as your Denon has a pre-out specifically for this purpose (the DM37 does). This way, the subwoofer puts no strain on the amplification.

In fact an active (amplified) sub used on the speaker outputs will be fine. There is no additional loading from an active sub.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:... and you're still 3 postings behind me igglebert ...

...I don't want to seem like the one with most time on his hands...
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts