Sub platter upgrade

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, hope everyone is enjoying the Christmas break. Somehow whilst googling on the phone I stumbled on Henley audio and noticed they do a sub platter upgrade for the Project classic.

Has anyone ever done this upgrade, and was it worth it. Also noticed that they also offer a record clamp. Do these things make a difference, and if they do is it worth the £200 outlay for both of them.

Thanks

nads

Project are known (now) for doing upgrade parts to take their turntables to the next level (or more) up their range.
read through all the upgrades they do for your turntable. Also check out the info on the parts on YouTube as there are many videos covering these.

sub platter or platter? I would say the platter would make the biggest difference. Clamp Versus weigh? Clamp you can vary the force on the record without (over) loading the bearings.

Reactions: Al ears
Only answering as I am unaware of any forum members that have done this.
As above, the aluminium sub platter takes it to the Evo level of upgrade, is it worth it?
Possibly.
I don't own one but one thing is clearly evident and that's spending hundreds on upgrades that offer minimal improvements is best avoided when it comes to the point that you could have spent your money on going for the next turntable up the ladder in the first instance.
personally I would concentrate resources on that cartridge of yours as, to me, it appears to be a bit of a mish-mash. It is here you will get the most obvious improvement.
Personally I find clamps useful on some LPs and my turntable comes with one as standard so there is obviously a perceived need for one with some designs. If yours didn't come fitted with one as standard I would question it's ability to add significant improvements unless you have quite warped LPs.
I see the clamp itself is not standard even on the Classic Evo, so the sub platter on its own at £125 may be a good upgrade but as with all things only you can tell if it is worth that outlay

Last edited:

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
The cart will be upgraded/changed when the current stylus needs replacing but what can you get for £125 that it would cost to buy the sub platter anyway?

The trouble is once an idea takes root, it's hard to shake it. Agreed re spending too much on upgrades for the current TT, but how much would it cost to buy a new/better TT, more than £125.

I was reading a review by Ed Selley on AVforums and he said the sub platter upgrade was worthwhile which is why I started thinking to start with...I can see me taking a punt, just wondered if anyone had done it.

The cart will be upgraded/changed when the current stylus needs replacing but what can you get for £125 that it would cost to buy the sub platter anyway?

The trouble is once an idea takes root, it's hard to shake it. Agreed re spending too much on upgrades for the current TT, but how much would it cost to buy a new/better TT, more than £125.

I was reading a review by Ed Selley on AVforums and he said the sub platter upgrade was worthwhile which is why I started thinking to start with...I can see me taking a punt, just wondered if anyone had done it.
Understand that and it may be worthwhile as they have obviously added this subplatter to the Evo. No harm in going for it if you have the cash. Let us know if you do and what improvements you may hear.

MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
@Gonepostal Did you go for this upgrade in the end? I have the Debut Carbon Esprit (acrylic) SB and have been wondering for a fair few months now if this is worth my time as a cost efficient upgrade/vs how much I'd be expecting to spend for a reasonable TT upgrade.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
@Gonepostal Did you go for this upgrade in the end? I have the Debut Carbon Esprit (acrylic) SB and have been wondering for a fair few months now if this is worth my time as a cost efficient upgrade/vs how much I'd be expecting to spend for a reasonable TT upgrade.
Hi,

I didn’t in the end, I thought about it but ended up buying some records instead lol….

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts