Sub connection to a stereo amplifier

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i want to try connecting a sub to my stereo amp - i was going to use the pre outs on my Arcam P35 power amp - they are set up in a mono formation does this matter - do i connect just one sub cable to the sub from the P35 pre outs or do i use a pair of interconnect and if so do i take both the left and right out of one power amp or because they are in a mono formation do i need to take the left from one P35 and the right from the other - the sub is an arcam logo.

hope that all makes sense?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
sorry just read up - i know i need to get both left and right pre out to sub as stereo has no lfe out - but if the p35s are in mono formation with they still output left and right from pre outs or do i need to take one cable from each

also anyone know what is best to set the crossover to - my specs for speakers says low frequency point is 45hz so would you set the sub to that?

A

Anonymous

In my limited experience of setting up subs, I've found that setting the sub roll-off to slightly overlap the speaker roll-off works well. Thus, try yours at 50-60hz with a volume setting so that you can only just notice it. Tricky old game this one though. Subject to personal taste of course!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd use the pre-outs on your preamp if it has a spare pair, or invest in some phono splitters and use these from the preamp outs to feed your power amps and both sub inputs if your preamp only has a single set of preouts.

And yes, about 50-60Hz should give you a smooth handover from sub to main speakers. But how much of a benefit the Arcam sub will be really depends on the main speakers you'll be using it with.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
do subs have a direct input mode - for example can i connect the lfe to my av amp and the left/rights to my stereo and would one be dominent - just wondering incase ever accidently turn both on at once - imagine would be messy

also what about the x-over q and phase settings?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
I'd use the pre-outs on your preamp if it has a spare pair, or invest in some phono splitters and use these from the preamp outs to feed your power amps and both sub inputs if your preamp only has a single set of preouts.

And yes, about 50-60Hz should give you a smooth handover from sub to main speakers. But how much of a benefit the Arcam sub will be really depends on the main speakers you'll be using it with.

pre amp is MF A5CR so only has one set of out - my main speakers are focal 908s

just realised with the mono links in can't use the pre outs so would have to get splitters

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts