Sub £300 mini system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

New poster, and I'm sure you get these questions all the time. I've had a look through the forums, but as technology and deals change quickly, and I have some specific questions, I hope you'll bear with me! And as a member on other forums (different subjects) I know how annoying it can be to members when people pop up, ask a question, and disappear, so I promise I'll let you know what my final decision is (will be immediately post Xmas when I make the purchase)!

About 15 years ago I had a decent budget separates system, mostly marantz, but then sort of fell out of love with music, but I'm now getting back into it. For the last 5 years I've had no stereo at all, other than an ipod and a (really awful) dock. I'm looking to buy either a mini system (or if possible, a stripped down separates system). My budget is £300 - I really can't go more than say £50 above that. Clarity is more important than volume, and I listen mostly to indie and rock, and a lot of Radio 4.

What I want (or more accurately would like) is the following... (apologies for listing it, but it makes it clearer, at least to me!)

1) Small size

2) Primary source of music will be from an iphone (sorry, know that isn't really hifi) - do I need a dock, or will a cable do, and if so what connector on the amp/system do I need? Also, if docks are included, do they include iphones when they say suitable for ipods, or is that different?

3) I also want a combined DAB/FM tuner

4) CD isn't important (see Q2), but considered as a 'nice to have'

5) Budget must include speakers (I hear the wharfedales are very good, and I've found some sub £300 deals including 9.1's)

6) Remote control essential, which I guess restricts me to one make (especially if separates)

7) 3.5 headphone jack would be good

8) Being able to run itunes from my laptop (i.e. wired, wireless not important) would be nice (if possible, no idea - what connectors would I need?)

9) EBay is an option for getting something really good secondhand, but what do I look for (I know that is a 'how long is a piece of string query)

10) Something good looking would be nice!

From my (admittedly limited) research, and having rabbited on for ages, this..

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/5586

looks pretty good, but of questions 1 to 10, does it miss any?

Answers welcomed, and I'm really sorry as most of them will be blatantly obvious to you guys, so I am playing the 'help a newbie card'!

Many thanks

Chris

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Yimkin and welcome.

Well the DM37 you picked out at Superfi certainly ticks most of the boxes. It's a very well reviewed microsystem and there are quite a few forum members using it. The Wharfedale 9.1s are just fine with it, in fact this unit seems to work well with any of the speakers in that particular price range. The dock for it is an optional extra.

Not sure about running itunes from your laptop though. If you want the best performance then you'll be needing a DAC between the pc and the micro. And that will bust your budget, unless you can find one fairly cheap on ebay or somewhere. The DM37 does have a USB input, but that is for memory sticks only. You cannot plug your pc into it.

I'm sure others will be along later today with recommendations for you to think about.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Denon does look good. Are there any other good alternatives?

Thanks all

Chris

idc

To get itunes into the midi system you could get a minjack to phono cable and using the headphone socket on the computer, plug it into phonos on the hifi. But, sound quality is likely to be not great because of noise and interference within the computer. I get a lot of noise and hiss from my computers headphone socket.

The alternative is to get a cable such as this GQ-24 which goes from the ipods docking port to either a minijack to the headphone socket or to the phonos on the hifi. The sound is excellent, the only disadvantage is that the ipod cannot charge with that connection.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Yimkin

Richer Sounds also has the Denon D-M37 (without speakers) for £189.95 or the Cambridge Audio Sonata stereo receiver with iPod dock for £299.95, which might be worth a look. Details here.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy - that looks very interesting!

Ideally I'd like to buy British, so Cambridge Audio appeals (and I had a housemate years ago who worked for them). Didn't realise they were now a Richer Sounds 'own brand' though!

I had a look at the Denon in a big box store today (no way would I buy from there - so expensive!, but just wanted a look). I liked it, but this was obviously based on looks alone, as it wasn't hooked up, and anyway had denon speakers. However the CD tray seemed very flimsy. Not too important to me, as I'll primarily be using my iphone, but any thoughts? The rest of it seemed very solid.

Chris

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi again Yimkin,

Not sure that the cd tray is any more flimsy than others in that price bracket. Can't recall anyone coming up with that one on the forums before. I take it you've looked at the DM37 review done by WHF. The 5 star write up it had was with the Denon speakers, though most people seem to have opted for Wharfedale/MS/MA etc.

Have you tried putting in DM37 in the 'Search Forums' box. There's quite a few threads relating to it which you can peruse.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts