Sub £1000 CD HiFi?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could help me along the lines fo getting together a good hifi on my budget. I'm after an amp, CD player, speakers and interconnects for the money.

I'm into all sorts of music, so I'm after something that's clean and accurate throughout genres. The genre I listen to most is Drum n Bass, so I'd preferably want something that can kick out some decent bass without getting muddy or tainted and still keep the mids and treble crisp.

I'm not experienced at all in the world of hifi, but I'm willing to learn my stuff!

Thanks,

-Charlie

A

Anonymous

I suggest the following two systems:

One: NAD C352CT amplifier, NAD C542 cd player, B&W 685 speakers.
Two: Rotel RA-04 amplifier, Rotel RCD-06 cd player, AE Aegis Neo 3 speakers

You could swap round the speakers, but the Rotel RA-04 is only 40 watts so it won't get the best out of the B&W 685. However, if you wanted floorstanders on the NAD system, that would be fine!

Also, see if you can find some Wharfedale EVO2 30 speakers...I have some and you can get them for around £300 and less new...superb speakers for the price...and plenty of cone excursion to get the bass pumping!

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi there. Superfi offer this systemat a hugely discounted price of £779.95, normally £1054.95. This leaves £220 for cabling, interconnects and a good quality pair of speaker stands. Richer Sounds are offering system 5 which must be worth a look also!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]Hi there. Superfi offer this systemat a hugely discounted price of £779.95, normally £1054.95. This leaves £220 for cabling, interconnects and a good quality pair of speaker stands. Richer Sounds are offering system 5 which must be worth a look also![/quote]

Brilliant find! That is one superb system and WELL worth the money! You could get a Denon tuner to go with that too if you wanted!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replys, I appreciate it
emotion-21.gif

Seen as I've heard many good things about the aforementioned NAD (pronounced 'nad' or 'en. ay. dee'?) & EPOS combo, I think I'll bob down to one of the Super Fi dealers (provided they get stock as it's an internet deal) and have a listen.

Any recommendations with regards to interconnects, cabling and speaker stands?

Thanks again!

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="amarocknrollstar"]Hi there. Superfi offer this systemat a hugely discounted price of £779.95, normally £1054.95. This leaves £220 for cabling, interconnects and a good quality pair of speaker stands. Richer Sounds are offering system 5 which must be worth a look also![/quote]

Brilliant find! That is one superb system and WELL worth the money! You could get a Denon tuner to go with that too if you wanted!
[/quote]

And a Denon TU-260L would only set you back around a tenner - IMHO 'THE' best tuner EVER!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="amarocknrollstar"][quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="amarocknrollstar"]Hi there. Superfi offer this systemat a hugely discounted price of £779.95, normally £1054.95. This leaves £220 for cabling, interconnects and a good quality pair of speaker stands. Richer Sounds are offering system 5 which must be worth a look also![/quote]

[/quote]

And a Denon TU-260L would only set you back around a tenner - IMHO 'THE' best tuner EVER![/quote]

Why are they really good? I might buy one on ebay...but I can't see why they are better...

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="CPOliver"]Any recommendations with regards to interconnects, cabling and speaker stands?[/quote]

Well, this is a contentious issue. I rather like the very inexpensive Seduction Audio stuff available on Ebay (you can get them for a couple of quid when they go to auction) but others on this firum disagree. Cambridge Audio interconnects offer a lifetime guarantee. Gotham interconnects seem to be recieving great reviews -
see here

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
I've no idea how they managed it, but for pure sound reproduction they are immense. Nothing IMO can touch them. IMy mate's bro has a Naim set up worth £7k and guess what - he's got a Denon Tu-260L. I had an Arcam Alpha 7 tuner and got rid of it to buy my Denon which cost me £15 on ebay. Canvass some opinion on it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]I've no idea how they managed it, but for pure sound reproduction they are immense. Nothing IMO can touch them. My mate's bro has a Naim set up worth £7k and guess what - he's got a Denon Tu-260L. I had an Arcam Alpha 7 tuner and got rid of it to buy my Denon which cost me £15 on ebay. Canvass some opinion on it.[/quote]

Cool, looking at the reviews they get, they look pretty good! (I presume it is a Mark 1).

T

the record spot

Denon 260Mk2, also very good - RDS, plenty of presets, good quality sound, and cheap as chips secondhand. Tons of them out there. Analogue radio won't be going anywhere for a while yet, so take the leap of faith!

As for alternatives to the above, how about Marantz SA7001 cd player (£350), Rotel RA-04 amp (£250) and MS-906 (£199 at Richer Sounds) or KEF iQ5s (£299 at Richer Sounds again). This would be a pretty beefy set-up (maybe too beefy)?!

Interconnects - can't quibble with Van den Hul's The Name or QED Qunex III (£55 and £35 respectively for a 1 metre pair). Use both in my own system (VDH from the Linn, QED from the Samsung DVD850 SACD player). Speaker cable - QEDs Silver Anniversary gets a very good write-up for a very modest £5 a metre.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts