Sub £1.5K system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Help! I'm after a system to go with my 46" TV.

Sources are V+ , PS3, and above that I'll be adding an ipod (lossless) for my main music source. I'll also use the V+ for good radio. Volume isn't important (detached house, but I'm not a fan of ear splitting noise!), but clarity and detail is. Build quality and longevity are other factors.

I love films, which will be my main sound concern, and general music after. Gaming is way last on my list.

Style is important, as the speakers will have to be unobtrusive and soft in appearance (front 3 will be on my tv stand under the LCD). Rear will most likely be wall mounted higher up.

1) Thinking of an Onkyo 606. Will this be enough (for the below)? The best choice?

2) Speakers... well, I have ruled out boxy or big units. I'm drawn to rounded and smooth sats and discreet (or sexy) subs. That said I have found:

KEF 3005, or the SE version (its a lot more, isn't it!)

Tannoy Arena lites (very cheap £600 deals)

B&W MT30's (can I get a stonking deal anywhere?!)

Price isn't my main concern, more value for money. I'd go for the MT30's if I really thought they would be worth double (the poster who saw a £1150 deal, shout!).

Can the Onkyo do a job with all these?

My room is a through lounge, but I'd be at moderate volume, looking for crisp and full, detailed sound at both 5.1 and stereo music. I hate speach getting lost in the surrounding rumble on films.

Guidance, advice, and anything else to consider?

Thanks

Steve

A

Anonymous

If you want decent stereo sound, you will have to reconsider the style packages and go for something in the way of a standard speaker system. I would definately go for the Onkyo 605 or upcoming 606. As far as speakers go, Monitor Audio BR2AV or BR5AV (floorstanders may give more stereo presence) or the Tannoy Mercury F1s. I would think the MAs would be better though. Anyone else? I am tired and feel i may have missed something.

A

Anonymous

If you are set on style over substance, it doesn't get more discreet than the QAcoustics Q-AV (in the April issue of the magazine p.6)

A

Anonymous

B&W 685 theatre is worth a look. The 685, which the set up is based around, is a 2007 awards winner.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have to disagree with tomcat here. The MT30 from B&W (my brother in law has it) is very good indeed. Personally I don't think it's the last word in style but 99% of people do. Sevenoaks will cut you a decent deal within your budget. Also take a loot at Monitor Audio R90s. I have them as my rears and they are very good. You can wall mount the centre speaker under your screen and the R90s (tinyl bookshelf speaker) can sit on your unit - you can get them in piano black and they are very well made. With your budget you can get yourself a very nice system - by the way, the 606, if it's as good or better than it's predecessor, will be fine with such speakers.

A

Anonymous

I was pretty sepcific about what I needed, and that ruled out boxy speakers.

I also mentioned the front speakers would STAND on the tv stand, along with my lcd. This would mean speakers like the MT1's that would happily sit on a shelf.

This sort of location also means they would have to be small and compact.

I'm still wavering toward the MT30's and an Onkyo 606. Can anyone beat that?

Again, anyone suggest what sort of dealer price I can try for for the MT30's (lowest e.g.s appreciated)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="SAP7"]I'm still wavering toward the MT30's and an Onkyo 606. Can anyone beat that?[/quote] In a style package?..... No, that is probably the best kit you could get for your money. I can't find it anywhere for the price you were quoting. Maybe the KEF KHT 5005.2 would be worth a look? I found that for £999 delivered from Cambridge Audio.

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Give your local Sevenoaks store a call - I reckon you could do a deal for around £1300.[/quote]

Do you really think they would go that low - I can't find the MT30's less than the RRP of £1575!

SAP7 - Did you find a good deal for the MT30's? Anyone else know where I can get a bit of a discount, will be buying this week.

A

Anonymous

Without even trying to haggle, I have a deal for under £1600 for the MT30 and Onkyo 606.
Where? It has been mentioned in this thread a few times!

Superfi told me they couldn't even do that price at trade! They said it was crazy low.

I'm in Monday to tie up the deal and work out speaker cable etc. My only issue now is a stand to fit everything in a compact corner area. Oh, and the fact that Dixons keep putting my TV delivery date back! If you want a decent deal I'd suggest going to your local dealer and being confident, informed, and letting them know you have a clue about discount before you even start to talk cash. I think I got such a good deal as I was open and honest about where I could get ex demo pieces, and the dealer said he could do a deal if I got the whole lot from him (and he did!).

(ps why I have I suddenly lost my paragraphs. They appear on my draft, and are in all my previous posts. Not since last night, for some reason! Have I done something??)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Nice one! The paragraphs is an issue with the forum at the moment which should be fixed when the website is revamped this summer. For now, put <p> at the beginning of where you want a paragraph to begin and </p> at the end and this should sort it out.

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="SAP7"]Without even trying to haggle, I have a deal for under £1600 for the MT30 and Onkyo 606.
Where? It has been mentioned in this thread a few times!
[/quote]

Thats a good deal, and will make a nice set up for you.

I've decided on the MT30 now (I think!) but only have 1 dealer that sells them anywhere near me. Audio T in Brentwood. I'm going to pop down there tomorrow to see if I can get a deal, otherwise I think my nearest Sevenoaks store is in Kent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts