Stylus confusion

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
Please can you explain the diffences between the Ortofon's OM series, I use the OM20 which now cost £85.00. Why is the OM40 so much more at £175 and the OM5 is only £25 is the only diffence a finer tip?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
kitkat:Please can you explain the diffences between the Ortofon's OM series, I use the OM20 which now cost £85.00. Why is the OM40 so much more at £175 and the OM5 is only £25 is the only diffence a finer tip?

It's not as simple as just a finer tip - different models in the range use different stylus profiles, which can be harder to manufacture and, one would hope, will deliver higher levels of performance as the price rises.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
The om5 is an elliptical stylus probably bonded to the cantilever, the om10 is much the same but as Andrew rightly points out will have a different stylus profile and the further up the range you go the profiles change quite a bit, so the om20 would probably be a special elliptical stylus the om30 a fine line and the om40 a nude fine line. What all this means is a better quality diamond attached to the cantilever to give greater detail retrieval and better tracking ability. The om range are great cartridges and although I've had an ortofon 2m blue i believe they are not much better than the om range, fine as they are.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts