Stylish 2.1 or compact digital sound projector solution......

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
I've just taken the plunge and bought a 32" Philips 32PFL9632D which is going to be delivered on Saturday, fingers crossed (!!). However, I've been looking for a 2.1 home cinema system as the space in our flat is very limited, i.e. the sofa is against the wall in a small area with the TV about 2.5m away. The few options I've considered include:

Samsung HT-X200
Denon S102

Would these or any other systems, e.g. Teac or Jamo, do my new TV justice? I'm looking to watch SD and upscaled DVDs whilst keeping an eye on Freesat. Finally, as I'm still fairly new to setting up a home cinema, would the following combination actually work:

Denon DVD1940
Yamaha YSP9000 (what are the other options if this was a better alternative to a 2.1 solution?)
Both hooked up by Chord Company HDMI Silver Plus 1.3

I'm looking to spend roughly £200-300 on a budget option such as the Samsung but would consider spending £500-800 if the extra money on a soundbar is worth the extra.... Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The Samsung HT-X200 is a solid 4-star buy, with impressive picture quality. I'd go for a 2.1 system rather than a soundbar if you can accommodate it, as at least you'll get the benefit of a dedicated subwoofer.

FYI, Samsung is about to release a whole new range of 2.1 systems, as we reported here earlier in the week. Might be worth checking them out.

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Andy Clough"]
Samsung is about to release a whole new range of 2.1 systems, as we reported here earlier in the week. Might be worth checking them out.

[/quote]
Thanks Andy, maybe that's why Play.com has dropped the price on the Samsung HT-X200 to £199.99.

Has anyone got any other 2.1 systems they think deserve some consideration??

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone any views / experience with the Denon DHT-FS3 X-Space Surround Bar?

Andy's reservation on soundbars lacking a sub are valid but does this unit overcome that sufficent to warranty a c. £500 spend?

A

Anonymous

Hi, Yep bought one 6 weeks ago and it is now nicely run in. My Room is 28ft x 14ft and it sounds great in my

setup. Which happens to be Panasonic TH50-PZ70B Plasma Pioneer DvLX50 Dvd Player along with Sony RXDR 970 Freeview Recorder both Hdmi to Panny and Digital coaxial and optical to the Denon. As far as I am concerned I am well Pleased and so is the Boss [ Wife ]

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the response, urm, p*nis (!!).

It's all about the boss... she was convinenced the Philips 32PFL9632D was the best LCD to go for and obviously, a 5 speaker set up is out of the question in the small area we have our TV / sofa. I will definitely give the Denon some serious consideration.

A

Anonymous

You can connect a sub to the yamaha ysp 900. Sounds ok, but dont expect it to compare with 5.1 set up.

yamaha have a new sound bar so prices for 900 may well drop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts