Style or Standard.. ?

Oxigin

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
This weekend I will be going to Richersounds in Oxford looking to buy my 1st get of speakers im learning towards 2 floor 2 bookshelf 1 centre and a sub im looking to spend around £400/£500

However looking on the Hot Deals forum I saw that the KEF 2005.3 are avaible for £495

The question is, Are Style speakers worse then "Normal Speakers" or should I go with the KEFs and hope RS price match?

I will be using the system mostly for Gaming and Movies I have the Onkyo 606

Many Thanks

Oxigin

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I had a feeling it would be that way round, Ive been looking for a few days and have been unable to find a arrangment of 5.1 standard speakers within my budget

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Well for that price range, you will find it hard to get a complete 5.1 package. I would consider Tannoy F4 customs for fronts £150 and F1 customs for rears for £80 and centre £50. Then save and add a decent sub, or you could look at the Q Acoustics 1010i and later add some 1030i or 1050i for the fronts . There might be some good deals still around on the older MA radius 270's.

John Duncan

Deffo normal over style - see if Richer are still doing the Tannoy F4s for £120 - pair of them for front, pair of F1s (£90 I think) for rears, and FC for centre. £270 all in, you'll be hard pushed to beat it, even without the sub (which you can always add later).

Oxigin

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Sadly I rang 3 Richersound stores yesterday and they were all sold out of the Tannoys

Spoke to Oxford, Milton Keynes and B'ham

A

Anonymous

I agree. Normal speakers

Auditioned the KEF 3005 and the B&W 685 kit.

Kef were good, but i wasn;t bowled over......the B&W's did that, just waiting for mine to be delivered.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Oxigin:
This weekend I will be going to Richersounds in Oxford looking to buy my 1st get of speakers im learning towards 2 floor 2 bookshelf 1 centre and a sub im looking to spend around £400/£500

However looking on the Hot Deals forum I saw that the KEF 2005.3 are avaible for £495

The question is, Are Style speakers worse then "Normal Speakers" or should I go with the KEFs and hope RS price match?

I will be using the system mostly for Gaming and Movies I have the Onkyo 606

Many Thanks

Agree with what others here have said, but, style speaker systems were invented for a reason. I personally would struggle to house 7 full size speakers, and that's before even trying to convince the Wife.

Just be aware if you don't have the space for full size speakers, you can get a style equivalent that will look great and still leave you grinning from ear to ear when your favourite film starts.
;-)

Oxigin

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I have a problem in that I cant drive (Due to medical reasons) so my girlfriend would be driving me to the stores I dont think she would want to drive 100s of miles, Anyone know if RS are able to ship between stores?

John Duncan

Oxigin:
I have a problem in that I cant drive (Due to medical reasons) so my girlfriend would be driving me to the stores I dont think she would want to drive 100s of miles, Anyone know if RS are able to ship between stores?

I know they have done for small items....

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Only thing I would add is that if its just for movies and games a sub sat system would do everything you need and is small and compact - i would never use one for long periods of stereo listening but they are great and would easily fill your room with sound. I run a subsat system for my home cinema and then have a seperate full system for stereo - now on about my 3 sub sat system and have all provided excellent results.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:Only thing I would add is that if its just for movies and games a sub sat system would do everything you need and is small and compact.

Well, yes, it will do everything you need, but a home cinema system with standard speakers will still sound better for the money. That was kind of the point I think...

Oxigin

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the info !

New twist how about 4 book selfs and no floor speakers? as the "Mordaunt Short Speaker Packages ALUMNI SYSTEM" is on RS for £480

A

Anonymous

Get RS to deliver them to you. That's what I've done in the past. No hastle of phoning round branches then.

A

Anonymous

Oxigin:

Thanks for all the info !

New twist how about 4 book selfs and no floor speakers? as the "Mordaunt Short Speaker Packages ALUMNI SYSTEM" is on RS for £480

Well the floorspace/volume of bookshelves with stands would be the same as floorstanders...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts