Stripping Speaker Wire Outer Casing?

Witterings

What do you use for stripping the outer casing on speaker wire?

I bought some of this recently

Which is meant to be pretty much the same as the van damme blue, stripping the inner red / whites is no problem and use a stripper similar to this

All of that style are 10AWG upwards and the outer casing's 7.5mm which is between 8 and 10awg and you can just force it in but it makes a complete dogs dinner of it.
I only tried these on the outers having several times tried using a sharp penknife and gently rolling the cable underneath to create a circle to pull away but on about 8 occasions I just nicked the smaller inner surround exposing the wire and that's being aware I'd done it the 1st couple of times and trying to be ultra careful for the rest.

If anybody knows a tool that does it without nicking the inner wires and makes a reasonably neat job I'b be interested to know what it is.

Gray

If you saw my small, round-ended scissors, you would laugh.
However, what they give is a more delicate all round nicking of the outer sheath than a knife.
It then comes away cleanly.

That stripper looks like one of those bite, grab and pull types. I've never liked them - seen too many of the dogs dinners you describe (where inner insulation and conductor strands suffer).

Witterings

Try Amazon.
They have quite a selection of strippers.

I use these
Stanley STA075068 Wire Strippers https://amzn.eu/d/bk4rhWn

I'd bookmarked those exact ones, do they work well with the outer casing?

I've also subsequently looked up wire cutters as @twinkletoes had suggested although I wonder if part of doing it that way is "getting used to it" ... I'm light on other ideas for Xmas and they always come in handy so may look to get a pair of both for various other uses as well.

Reactions: Al ears

nads

Maybe I wasn't very clear with what I was saying but I did use them and the cut it left was like a dogs dinner so looking for an alternative to those.
Work around the outer. I use it on all my cable. Obviously if yours are reinforced with fibres you may have issues. Had many sets and makes of those and they are by fair my favorits. But my standard on something that can’t be seen are maybe lower than yours. As they are covered by the banana plug covers?

Witterings

I just use a Stanley knife.

This wouldn't be any different to using the sharp penkife I use.
The outer sheaths are quite soft / rubbery, what I'm finding is I do a not too deep circle all the way round, grab hold of it with fingers and try and pull and it won't seperate. Go back cut "a smidge" deeper, part of it goes virtually right through but it stil won't pull apart, go back and cut maybe a small bit that's still hanging on in there ........ whooops .... too late.
I have been so careful doing this and it keeps happening, it wouldn't be any different with a Stanley to the knife I'm using.
I wonder if maybe the outer on this particular cable is just awkward as while it cuts really easily, it is quite "elasticated" and so unless it's cut right through ...... your fingers aren't strong enough to get a good enough purchase to pull the end off.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GP5206.html
Some that do a large amount of outer sheath removal use these.....they learn the precise amount of revolutions necessary (because the pressurised blade can soon do more harm than gentler methods).

That looks like a neat little piece of kit!

I think the wire cutters may be best as can cut only so deep all round and then have something that will give some purchase to what you're trying to remove and can use the other had to "lever" the end away.

I appreciate a couple of people have sugggested heatshrink and I can do that as well, although ideally my starting point would be a bit neater to start with.

Chees for everyone's input though ... much appreciated! (y) :giggle:

Reactions: Gray

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site

I've also subsequently looked up wire cutters as @twinkletoes had suggested although I wonder if part of doing it that way is "getting used to it" ... I'm light on other ideas for Xmas and they always come in handy so may look to get a pair of both for various other uses as well.
Yes they do.
I have been using a similar pair since 1979 (Post Office issue)

Reactions: Witterings

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site

Every person should have a good set of wire/cable cutters in the tool box. Very handy

Just lightly squeeze rotate and pull. Job done will only take 2 secs but they need to be sharp.

Witterings

In case people think I'm a completely incapable muppet for starting this thread, I thought I’d give a little more information just to put it in perspective.

I’ve flown remote control planes at competition level for many years and drones commercially from about 7 years ago (but stopped now)

Whilst not a wiring expert by any stretch I’ve had to wire and solder all of them with all the connections for motors / batteries cut correctly and then soldered the right way as well.

Drones were built from board level including cutting / solder all the wires to the boards, batteries bullet connecters etc. ….. Get any bit of any of the above wrong / a short you’ve just destroyed several hundreds of pounds worth of equipment

In case people think I’m a newbie numpty, just trying to say I’m not a complete newbie to cutting / stripping wires. Maybe it’s just this particular cable that’s proving a bit challenging but I’ve never come across anything quite so challenging before and thought maybe others had experienced something similar.

Reactions: WayneKerr

nads

In case people think I'm a completely incapable muppet for starting this thread, I thought I’d give a little more information just to put it in perspective.

I’ve flown remote control planes at competition level for many years and drones commercially from about 7 years ago (but stopped now)

Whilst not a wiring expert by any stretch I’ve had to wire and solder all of them with all the connections for motors / batteries cut correctly and then soldered the right way as well.

Drones were built from board level including cutting / solder all the wires to the boards, batteries bullet connecters etc. ….. Get any bit of any of the above wrong / a short you’ve just destroyed several hundreds of pounds worth of equipment

In case people think I’m a newbie numpty, just trying to say I’m not a complete newbie to cutting / stripping wires. Maybe it’s just this particular cable that’s proving a bit challenging but I’ve never come across anything quite so challenging before and thought maybe others had experienced something similar.
Not at all. Just trying to understand the issue. Having used the tools linked many times. On many cables. but not the ones mentioned.

I build race cars. And am learning much about connectors and crimping systems. 400 quid for a deutch (sp) set of crimps…….

Gray

Try these, I've been using them for a couple of decades, a pair normally lasts me 4 or 5 years and I use them countiously day in day out at work. Bite the cable rotate and pull you'll get an excellent finish.

ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4
Good luck with those on the specific speaker cable in question here James.
(It's outer sheath needs a light touch - because all too soon you're into the cores insulation).

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Good luck with those on the specific speaker cable in question here James.
(It's outer sheath needs a light touch - because all too soon you're into the cores insulation).

Hi Gary, I use them on multicore cables from flex to 16 core, every size from 0.5. to 1.5mm. Thats why I use them strips outer sheath and inner sheaths with the same pair only have to switch for crimping.

Reactions: Dom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts