streaming video to a projector

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The local Methodists church my wife attends is closing and selling off their assets. For fun rather than a serious attempt at home cinema I'm thinking of offering them some beer tokens for their video projector. I can't remember the make but it's HD so decent enough for my intended occasional use. I'm looking for some smart-arsed way to send video to it wirelessly so I can fix it up permanently and not have to rig cables all the way round the room and up the wall (mains cable excepted). However it only has VGA and DVI-I sockets. I take it I can't just buy a DVI > HDMI convertor and expect it to power a Chromecast or Firestick?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/12b/Nyrius-Home-Transmitter-Video-Streaming-Satellite-NAVS500/B005H3AU1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482414888&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=wireless+hdmi&psc=1

Its not cheap and you would need one of these as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Plated-Female-Adapter/dp/B007NLEF3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482415084&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi+adapter&psc=1

to connect to the projector, remember dvi sockets do not transmit audio only video.

*music2*

daveh75

MajorFubar said:
I'm looking for some smart-arsed way to send video to it wirelessly so I can fix it up permanently and not have to rig cables all the way round the room and up the wall (mains cable excepted). However it only has VGA and DVI-I sockets. I take it I can't just buy a DVI > HDMI convertor and expect it to power a Chromecast or Firestick?

Perhaps I'm being too literal, but 'power'?

Chromecasts and Firesticks don't take power from HDMI, they have external PSUs, essentially a phone charger.

Also what about audio?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Perhaps I'm being too literal, but 'power'?

Chromecasts and Firesticks don't take power from HDMI, they have external PSUs, essentially a phone charger.

Also what about audio?

Ah well. Seemed like a good idea, but obviously technology is not quite there with me yet. I figured both the Firestick and the Chromecast were powered by the 5VDC provided by the HDMI socket on pin 18, but maybe they draw too much power. I hadn't figured out an answer for audio, but I reckoned some botchery one way or another would get it to work.

Thanks for the other links macdiddy, but you're right to presume that I'm no way going to throw that amount of money at the problem, I'd rather lay wires round my room first.

TRENDING THREADS