streaming video files to ps3 via windows media sharing

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i have downloaded a film at 7.95gb from blinkbox i think its mpeg2 or something simliar and it streams from my laptop through my hub and my ps3 picks it up. so all good.

My questions is i want to buy a external harddrive from amazon but have been told that fat32 harddrives will let my transfer any over 3.99gb files. So i am told that there is harddrives that are ntfs that i can but will windows be able to see them and stream as normal cause i keep reading that ps3 has to fat32 or is that just if the harddrive is plugged into the ps3.

and what is the best portable harddrive at the moment say £50 or less at with as much memory as possible many thanks inadvance simon.

A

Anonymous

Hi Simon,

I can confirm that the PS3 does not support ntfs as I had a USB stick in that format that the PS3 would not read, but was fine when I re formatted into FAT32.

I have a Samsung S2 drive which I have found to be well a 1TB version can be had for £65. 500GB is around £45 it is USB powered and my PS3 has no problem reading it. A friend who is more computer minded than myself believes that Samsung drives tend to be of good quality.

I have no idea about the 4GB FAT32 limit as I don't have any files that large, hopefully someone else will be able to answer that question for you. Sorry I can't be more help.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
All info is correct. FAT 32 is 4Gb limit

Options are - stream and SAVE to your PS3s internal hardrive. Split the file into 2, or stream as normal

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thanks guys i am going to buy an external hardrive 1tb but i have around 15 camcorder recordings that i stream to my ps3 or something else in future and i really need to know that if i format a hardrive in ntfs that i can send bigger than 4gb files to it but still stream through windows media sharing as if the files was still on my laptop harddrive.

A

Anonymous

I don't use Windows media sharing I use PS3 Media Server but I don't think you will have any problems. I can stream a file of 4.76GB from a USB memory stick (in NTFS format) plugged into my laptop to PS3 and everything appears to work fine.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi smuggs i use my PS3 to stream all my movies and tv shows from my 1tb NAS drive and can confirm that it doesn't need to be formated in FAT32 as NTFS files will stream as normal over a network or from your laptop. FAT32 is only needed when you plug in a device to the PS3 and use that to watch your content, such as a portable hard drive or memory stick via usb, as long as you don't use the usb socket on the PS3 no files need to be in FAT32.

Regarding your camcorder recordings as long as you don't plug the hard drive into the PS3 via the usb socket and stream the files to the PS3 you will be able to send files of any size and not be restricted to the 3.9gb limit in FAT32. You can use windows media player to stream the content to the PS3 in NTFS with no worries atall, i know this for sure as it's what i did with my content before i bought a NAS drive. You shouldn't need to format the hard drive when you get it either as it will be set up for NTFS straight out of the box.

Hope that helps.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
what software do you use for streaming?

Oldboy said:
Hi smuggs i use my PS3 to stream all my movies and tv shows from my 1tb NAS drive and can confirm that it doesn't need to be formated in FAT32 as NTFS files will stream as normal over a network or from your laptop. FAT32 is only needed when you plug in a device to the PS3 and use that to watch your content, such as a portable hard drive or memory stick via usb, as long as you don't use the usb socket on the PS3 no files need to be in FAT32.

Regarding your camcorder recordings as long as you don't plug the hard drive into the PS3 via the usb socket and stream the files to the PS3 you will be able to send files of any size and not be restricted to the 3.9gb limit in FAT32. You can use windows media player to stream the content to the PS3 in NTFS with no worries atall, i know this for sure as it's what i did with my content before i bought a NAS drive. You shouldn't need to format the hard drive when you get it either as it will be set up for NTFS straight out of the box.

Hope that helps.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i am now using windows media sharing to send files to ps3 but i also have a 5m hdmi from my laptop to my denon and use xbmc and im enjoying the interface and with the laptop being under the stairs i have no loud ps3 running and i have bought a wireless mouse and keybord for £16 from tesco so once my wd 1tb harddrive turns up £44 from amazon i thought was ok. When are going to be able to rip are dvds onto are harddrive so we can put them in the loft. Thanks for the help with ntfs and fat32 clued in now, it appears that fat32 is really not that good unless you need to plug into a ps3/xbox direct.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
micks_address said:
what software do you use for streaming?

Oldboy said:

Hope that helps.

I don't anymore. I have a NAS drive now so i don't stream from my laptop and the PS3 doesn't require any software other than that built in to stream from my NAS drive.

When i used to stream from my laptop i used Windows Media Player but it just got annoying having to have my laptop and PS3 on to watch movies/tv and play music as the low level humming generated by both devices fans was too distracting.

I'm not sure if you can use any other software to stream to the PS3 as the manual points towards WMP being the only compatible software, that's a question for those more in the know i'm afraid as i've no need for it now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts