Streaming not sold on it yet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Save yourself the headache - get yourself a CDplayer and dump the soft alternatives.

If you use an external DAC then you don't need to break the bank just ensure the player has a digital out...... :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
davedotco said:
Streaming solutions are changing virtually by the day, I was hoping that Apple music would be my destination with the new Apple TV working in a wired setup with my Macbook or iThing acting as a control.

Sadly this does not look like a solution, HDMI only out on the new ATV and the old one does not run apps so it is airplay only, in addition the whole interace, especially the search functions, in iTunes really is not that good. As soon as my free trial is over, I'm probably going back to Spotify.

Talking of which, the primary problem with the Fire TV is that it has no display, it is difficult to navigate without a TV screen if you want more than Spotify Connect functionality.

One device that has caught my eye is the Argon Stream 2, only available from HifiKlubben in Europe, this device appears to have everything including a small screen for setup and navigation. If the control app is up to the mark, this looks like a very decent solution, and currently just €99.

Mmhh, do they ship to the UK?

They are not distributed in the uk, so just mail order one out of Amsterdam or Copenhagen, I'm sure they will take your money.

Bear in mind I have not had hands on with this device, with all streamers a lot will depend on the quality and ease of use of the control app.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
If I have lossless files on my iphone and imac since I have 128 Gigs on my phone I can store a fair amount and stream. if it were you for streaming would you stick with the apple tv2 or Sonos for SQ purposes? I may stream music services but in all honesty when I want my music I want mine not a playlist, but with a taste of something new that could change. I could see myself finding a new radio station and having a sit down and relaxing as well.

daveh75

chebby said:
Does that have a remote app for iPhones?

Yes.

Is it ethernet connectable (for BBC iPlayer Radio) and does it have a USB or (preferably) optical audio output to a DAC?

Yes it has Ethernet. The first gen AFTV has optical output, like Apple they've dropped it on the new one.

Do I have to be logged into Amazon?

Short answer.

Yes. In fact it will already be linked to your account when it arrives.

Can it operate independently of a television? (Oddly enough for something called 'TV' I have no interest in that side of it.)

Short answer.

Only really with Spotify Connect.

What gives it superior audio quality to AirPlay?

Up until a few weeks ago I was using AirPlay (in a Marantz M-CR603) and it sounded superb especially with 320K AAC content. (Even ALAC when compared with CD the couple of times I tried it.)

If I used an Apple TV (old version) or (more likely) an Airport Express with optical audio connection (to my Quad Vena's DAC) and ethernet connection to my wireless router what about the sound quality would be inherently inferior to - for example - the Amazon Fire TV?

Thanks.

(I am currently using the built-in Bluetooth on the Quad Vena - which is suprisingly better than I expected - and direct connection with Lightning - USB cable to the Quad's internal DAC.)

I don't believe it will give you superior sq.

It will be more reliable and eliminate the issues associated with Airplay though.

I.e you won't be using a phone as a 'server' and adding 'hops' to your WiFi network.

Might be worth waiting till after Google's 'event' on Tuesday.

Rumours say they'll be releasing two new Chromecasts, one an audio only device.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Save yourself the headache - get yourself a CDplayer and dump the soft alternatives.

And for those people who have already listened to about £500 worth of new music this month for a tenner?

(Along with being able to listen to anything, on any radio station in the world, without a tuner or an aerial, and whenever you'd like to listen rather than when it aired.)

And for people who want to take their music (or large quantities of it) outside their living rooms and homes and enjoy it on headphones or a friend's system?

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Thompsonuxb said:

And for those people who have already listened to about £500 worth of new music this month for a tenner?

(Along with being able to listen to anything, on any radio station in the world, without a tuner or an aerial, and whenever you'd like to listen rather than when it aired.)

And for people who want to take their music (or large quantities of it) outside their living rooms and homes and enjoy it on headphones or a friend's system?

+1 for Spotify Premium. Best 10 quid I spend every month.

As for internet radio, whilst I use it ... if I want to listen in a 'more critical' fashion, my FM tuner gets switched on. It has simply superb SQ if the programme does it justice.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
As for internet radio, whilst I use it ... if I want to listen in a 'more critical' fashion, my FM tuner gets switched on. It has simply superb SQ if the programme does it justice.

Hmmm ... I am a lifelong (almost) listener to BBC FM radio so I have to be careful about comparing premium 'live' FM broadcasting (like the Proms and the afternoon concerts) with their AAC equivalents and especially 320K radio 3 content. (How I consume a fair bit of jazz each week.)

I am currently without an FM tuner (after the M-CR603 got boxed up a couple of weeks ago) for the first time since I was 14, so my natural urge is to buy something like the Pro-ject Tuner Box S and plug it into the rooftop FM aerial.

But do I really need to? If the internet connection went on the fritz then i'd just switch over to radio from Freeview HD (via optical between TV and Quad Vena). I can even record Freeview radio - to listen to later - on my Humax.

In my case I really think the Pro-ject Tuner Box S (or any analogue FM tuner) would be superfluous and just having FM for the sake of nostalgia. Some government or other will eventually find out they haven't scrapped FM radio yet (especially when someone reminds them they can pocket the proceeds of a bandwidth auction afterwards).

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have to say streaming is brilliant, new music in an instant, superb quality on the whole. The bigest differance I have noticed is in the mastering. I listen mainly to alt, Indie, modern folk acoustic music, most of it is superbly produced and sounds wonderful. When i have people for demos, some music they chose is awful SQ wise.

daveh75

Mark Rose-Smith said:
You seem to know a wee bit about this stuff Dave,would you happen to know when apple music will be available for the 3rd gen apple tv.

You're asking the wrong person tbh.

I have no interest in Apple Music and regard the ATV as a bad joke...

I'm holding off renewing my apple music subscription until I'm certain of it's pending release and also think it's ridiculous of both amazon and apple omitting the optical out connection on their new boxes.

I don't agree. These aren't HiFi aimed at audiophiles.

They are (primarily) video streaming boxes aimed at the mainstream and will be connected to a TV via HDMI.

there is very little inexpensive options for streaming music to a decent dac.Apart from the current aftv and atv boxes,I don't think there is much in the way of stand alone streaming units available with optical out under £500,unless anyone else on the forum know of such products,I'd be happy to hear about it.

A Raspberry Pi with one of the DAC/Digi boards or connected via USB to an external DAC and running RuneAudio or Volumio is where its at afaiac and only around £30 - £60

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
emperor's new clothes said:
Hi Mike,

Have you considered a bluesound node 2? Capable of higher res than ATV or sonos and spdif out too.

http://www.bluesound.com/en-gb/products/node-2/

Radio Paradise App excellent on iPhone/pad - plug into your cyrus via usb, select 320kbps stream, has a PSD([play something different feature) and you can download up to 6 hours for playing off line or in car. They take their SQ seriously with stream options here:

http://www.radioparadise.com/rp_2.php#name=Listen
thanks for help on this it could be something I'll seriously look at. The sonos is the same price here in Canada this makes for logical sense if I'm going to spend that kind of money.

daveh75

davedotco said:
Talking of which, the primary problem with the Fire TV is that it has no display, it is difficult to navigate without a TV screen if you want more than Spotify Connect functionality.

Well you could 'sideload' Kodi and control it via the/a web interface*

*Kodi has an integrated Web if, but whilst functional it ain't pretty.

So you're better off with one of the third party add-ons like Chorus/Chorus 2 IMO.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Chubby you paid how much?..... I can do all that for free on my phone.... (still using my XperiaT , although I have the Z3 compact in waiting) used with Sennisher 205ll phones.

YouTube, Soundcloud
at the time of writing its still free.

I will say I do not 'listen' to £500 worth of music a month I 'listen' to a handfull New and old... and I do mean listen not playing in the background.

That's why I say go CD. I get some prefer soft alternatives but for a simple solution for 'listening' to music in the highest quality. .... CD.

When you hear what you like on t'internet Amazon or some other internet shop if it's not stocked at your local store to purchase.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
chebby said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Chubby you paid how much?..... I can do all that for free on my phone.... (still using my XperiaT , although I have the Z3 compact in waiting) used with Sennisher 205ll phones.

YouTube, Soundcloud at the time of writing its still free.

I will say I do not 'listen' to £500 worth of music a month I 'listen' to a handfull New and old... and I do mean listen not playing in the background.

That's why I say go CD. I get some prefer soft alternatives but for a simple solution for 'listening' to music in the highest quality. .... CD.

When you hear what you like on t'internet Amazon or some other internet shop if it's not stocked at your local store to purchase.

Sorry I don't want to discuss it with you. Thanks. I wish you well with your chosen means and media.

And my ID here is chebby.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Thompsonuxb said:
chebby said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Sorry I don't want to discuss it with you. Thanks.

:)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
Thompsonuxb said:
chebby said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Sorry I don't want to discuss it with you. Thanks. I wish you well with your chosen means and media.

Oh sorry Chebby, I typed Chebby and it got spell corrected.

No insult intended honestly.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
chebby said:
Thompsonuxb said:
chebby said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Oh sorry Chebby, I typed Chebby and it got spell corrected.

No insult intended honestly.

Ooohh, hug time

Happy Sunday children x

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts